Question About Application - Softs

lanacherrymustang

lanacherrymustang
  • Applicant

Hi guys

After joining this forum I noticed that there is a lot of attention on softs which I don't think I have (compared to everyone else working at government jobs, law internships, law clubs, etc). I want to apply to schools this November but I don't have any softs I think that would be very appealing to schools. I'm worried though that I won't get accepted to my dream schools because I lack softs. Should I be looking to do some softs this summer so I can write about it in my application? The problem is I wanted to spend my summer studying for the LSAT and crafting my application. Now I'm worried though. 

I didn't really focus on any softs during university because I wanted to make sure I had a high GPA but now I'm kind of questioning that decision.

All that to say is, should I really be applying this November when I don't have many softs? Or should I wait a year and get some softs to add to my application? Are softs worth a lot? 

I don't have my LSAT score yet but I'm aiming for 160+. My gpa is like a 3.85. Now I'm stressed and I don't know what to do. 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
Posted (edited)

People vastly overestimate how impressive their softs are. They look nice if you’re otherwise competitive based on your stats, but they won’t generally rescue an otherwise uncompetitive applicant unless the softs are actually impressive. Undergrad debate clubs, internships at dad’s law firm, being the vice-assistant to the vice custodian at the fraternity etc are not in the list.

Edited by GoatDuck
  • Like 3

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Just to add a more concrete point: you’ll get more utility spending the summer improving your lsat score than getting whatever soft you can get at this point. 

• Like 3

lanacherrymustang
  • Applicant
52 minutes ago, GoatDuck said:

Just to add a more concrete point: you’ll get more utility spending the summer improving your lsat score than getting whatever soft you can get at this point. 

got it, thank you:)

Yogurt Baron

Agreed with GoatDuck here. People who have uncompetitive stats like to hype themselves up by telling themselves (and others) that softs are much more important than they are. It's magical thinking, especially in situations where the softs are clearly last-minute resume padding, which they often are. Softs are evaluated by humans, who see so many applications that they become very good at picking up on "okay, this person suddenly joined five clubs on the same day three months before they applied".

That said, there's no need to worry about this if you've got the stats, which it sounds like you will, if the LSAT goes well for you. Best of luck.

• Like 3

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

FYI, if you're perusing this forum and still afraid of not being a member of University x's pre-law book club, LSData published this tier list for softs a while ago: https://www.lsd.law/softs

Granted, this is a U.S. website, so there's a larger (and arguably more competitive) applicant pool this list is tailored towards, but the core principles still apply. A 'strong soft' is only something that could indicate law school aptitude in lieu of an LSAT and cGPA, and these are incredibly niche or rare. Otherwise, LSAT and cGPA are king.

As others have stated, don't stress, and have fun studying for the LSAT this Summer. You're in a good place with your current cGPA.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, Yogurt Baron said:

Agreed with GoatDuck here. People who have uncompetitive stats like to hype themselves up by telling themselves (and others) that softs are much more important than they are. It's magical thinking, especially in situations where the softs are clearly last-minute resume padding, which they often are. Softs are evaluated by humans, who see so many applications that they become very good at picking up on "okay, this person suddenly joined five clubs on the same day three months before they applied".

That said, there's no need to worry about this if you've got the stats, which it sounds like you will, if the LSAT goes well for you. Best of luck.

"But you're forgetting that I also have great reference letters and an amazing personal statement." 🤪

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

lanacherrymustang
  • Applicant
13 hours ago, Yogurt Baron said:

thank you:)

13 hours ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

FYI, if you're perusing this forum and still afraid of not being a member of University x's pre-law book club, LSData published this tier list for softs a while ago: https://www.lsd.law/softs

Granted, this is a U.S. website, so there's a larger (and arguably more competitive) applicant pool this list is tailored towards, but the core principles still apply. A 'strong soft' is only something that could indicate law school aptitude in lieu of an LSAT and cGPA, and these are incredibly niche or rare. Otherwise, LSAT and cGPA are king.

As others have stated, don't stress, and have fun studying for the LSAT this Summer. You're in a good place with your current cGPA.

thank you :))!!!