Usask v. Dal

FutureLStudent

FutureLStudent
  • Applicant

Outside of the obvious difference in cost of living, can someone explain, if possible, which school would be better?

Aiming to practice either criminal or international law. Ontario resident as well.

Thanks☺️

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Dal would probably place much better in Ontario, though I can’t see how either school would give you international law advantage. 

• Like 1

FutureLStudent
  • Applicant
25 minutes ago, GoatDuck said:

Dal would probably place much better in Ontario, though I can’t see how either school would give you international law advantage. 

Thank you. I am aiming for Dal, but the cost of living in comparison to Saskatoon is so noticeable.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
55 minutes ago, FutureLStudent said:

Thank you. I am aiming for Dal, but the cost of living in comparison to Saskatoon is so noticeable.

Given your interest in crim, I think a lot comes down to where you want to practice. If you’re interested in practicing in Western Canada, USask is the better choice. If you’re interested in practicing in Eastern Canada, then Dal is the better choice. This goes for crim but also probably for other practice areas. 

FutureLStudent
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

Given your interest in crim, I think a lot comes down to where you want to practice. If you’re interested in practicing in Western Canada, USask is the better choice. If you’re interested in practicing in Eastern Canada, then Dal is the better choice. This goes for crim but also probably for other practice areas. 

This makes complete sense, thanks for your feedback. I know I want to practice in either Ontario or Alberta which I guess makes the decision as bit more complicated after reading your response (one is in the West, the other in the East) but I appreciate this response ☺️

Conge
  • Lawyer

I’ll add that I also wanted to do criminal law when I went to law school (spoiler: I got a taste of it and really did not like it). “International law” is a vague category and, to be blunt, it’s impossible to know what you actually mean by that. 

All to say, I wouldn’t advise that someone pick a law school because they have a vague notion of what kind of law they want to do. You don’t even know how broad your options will be (nor should you - law school is the start of the journey of figuring that out, at least it was for me).

To answer the question directly: go to Dal

• Like 1

FutureLStudent
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, Conge said:

I’ll add that I also wanted to do criminal law when I went to law school (spoiler: I got a taste of it and really did not like it). “International law” is a vague category and, to be blunt, it’s impossible to know what you actually mean by that. 

All to say, I wouldn’t advise that someone pick a law school because they have a vague notion of what kind of law they want to do. You don’t even know how broad your options will be (nor should you - law school is the start of the journey of figuring that out, at least it was for me).

To answer the question directly: go to Dal

Thank you! I have been advised the I will get into law school and switch my mind about wanting to practice criminal law. I am aiming for Dal, I just hate how costly it is in comparison to Saskatchewan (cost of living wise).

biffo852
  • Applicant

Consider the fact that Dal is a really good law school with a lot of alumni across the country. Halifax will also be a more interesting place to live for the years. Yes, costs is a factor in law school, but I do think the benefits of Dal do justify the greater cost.

Edited by biffo852