Articling Dilemma

Elias

Elias
  • Law Student

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and could use some insight. I just finished my second year at the UofC, and my grades have significantly improved since my first year. During the 1L recruit, I had two interviews that didn't lead to anything, and during the 2L recruit, I only had one interview, which also didn't work out. This has led me to broaden my job search to different provinces and areas of law, which I'm okay with because I'm not 100% sure where I want to live or what area of law I'd like to practice. I have some ideas, but nothing that would prevent me from working somewhere else for a while.

My issue is actually a good problem to have, I believe. Since my grades have improved and all the top students have secured positions, I have received a lot of interest even before the official start of this articling recruitment season. I've had a few interviews in BC and some planned interviews in Ontario next week, all through cold calls and some with the Crown. Tbh I expect to receive more interview offers based on the interest I've already received and the number of applications I've sent (not trying to sound cocky, just a numbers game). This also might mean that the more "out of reach" jobs are looking to become more attainable.

The problem is time. Each area has different hiring periods. For example, I am still waiting to hear back from the BC crown (i assume to hear back this week), and next week, I have some interviews where decisions to hire me will likely be made before the application period is over and wayyy before the offers go out for the other places.

So, my question is, if I do/ did well in one of these interviews and receive a job offer (at a place where I have no problem working), let's say in ON, and sign the articling contract, but then I get a better job or something I like more, let's say in BC, Alberta, or even a better job in ON, what would happen if I decided to go with the latter? Are there any other consequences besides the former place being upset with me?

Just for the record, my goal is to secure a job, and based on my previous attempts, I needed to expand my search. I would be willing and very happy if any of the places I applied to would hire me. However, among the places I applied to, some are more favourable for me in terms of location, family, friends, and money. And I hope this post doesn't come across as arrogant. By no means do I think I am a lock for any of these positions. I have been sending out applications today and will continue with cold calls.

Thank you for any insight!

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

You should read the rules of conduct in the jurisdictions you are interested in to determine the application to your scenario. Without giving you advice, see for example:

https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/lawyer-licensing-process/articling-candidates/finding-a-placement/2025-2026-articling-recruitment-procedures

15.    Students must deal with offers received as expeditiously as possible regardless of the stipulated time that the offer is allowed to remain open. Failure to communicate a rejection of an offer as soon as a decision to reject is made prejudices not only the offering Employer but also other Students to whom the offer may next be made.

16.    Students who accept an offer must immediately notify Employers from whom they have an outstanding offer or with whom they have scheduled interviews. 

17.    Students who have accepted an offer must not thereafter participate in interviews with other Employers or accept offers subsequently received for such period as the acceptance remains in force.

• Like 1

Elias
  • Law Student

Yikes, I didn't even see that. Thank you for pointing it out. It seems like I have to either take a chance for something more favorable or accept the job offer on the table. Thanks-@Rashabon

LMP
  • Articling Student
8 minutes ago, Elias said:

Yikes, I didn't even see that. Thank you for pointing it out. It seems like I have to either take a chance for something more favorable or accept the job offer on the table. Thanks-@Rashabon

Try and categorize the oppertunites into unique ones and fungible ones. 

Then you can focus your efforts on only making the tough choices with the unique offers. 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

The rules are definitely not set up to favour students who wish to interview in multiple jurisdictions, or even cities.  That is why most people first make an initial choice as to which city's recruit they are going to concentrate on.  I realize there is some risk involved in that, especially if that choice is "Toronto", since it seems to go last or almost last with its recruit dates.  Many people over the years have received an articling offer in Ottawa, say, and then have had to make the tough decision as to whether to accept it or "hold out" for an uncertain future in Toronto.  

• Sad 1

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I will modify a common saying as follows: "A bird in hand is better than a bigger bird in the tree."

So, if you get one offer that you think is about as good as you are likely to get, take it. (Meaning you like the location pay, and area of law). That's what I did anyway. You can always change firms later.

Example:

• You are offered job A and have 7 days to accept
  • You would prefer job offers B and C, and you interview for those soon.
  • You would have to reject job offer A for 10-20% chance of maybe getting job offer B or C

Take job offer A.

If you are offered a job that you don't really want (location, pay, are of law) don't take it. Something else will come up.