Please help me understand my options! Thanks!

Goku560

Goku560
  • Applicant

Hi all,

I am a current University student in Ontario. I will be entering my 4th year this fall. My current CGPA is : 3.55/4.3 which equates to a 3.50 in OLSAS a B+

I currently need to  write the LSAT and I am aiming for a 160+ score. I am thinking about writing in November or January based on my performance on Practice tests.

So I will be applying to law schools this year. I am planning to apply all over Canada. My questions are listed below

1. Will Law schools use my current CGPA to give me admission or will they look at my CGPA after I complete this fall term and use that for admission?

2. Do I have any chance of getting into law with my current CGPA and if I score a 163 on my LSAT

3. When should I start applying to law school?

That's all the questions I have. Thank you in advance for reading and answering my questions have a good day!

Renerik
  • Law Student

1. Schools will likely ask you to submit updated transcripts once your Fall grades come in. They wont assess your candidature until then unless you've got real good stats. 

2. A lawschool? Sure. Many? Probably. It's hard to give you something more specific without a region of interest or a list of schools you want to attend. I assume you want to stay in Ontario. Depending on how your L2/B2 and LSAT end up, you could be competitive at Queens, Western, Windsor, ryerson, lakehead and other schools out of province.

3. Apply before you write the LSAT. The deadline for all schools is different. OLSAS schools have an application deadline of November 01. Schools just wont process your information before you submit an LSAT.

P.S. you're not doing yourself any favors by writting January because it's late in the cycle. Try to write in November. 

Goku560
  • Applicant
13 minutes ago, Renerik said:

1. Schools will likely ask you to submit updated transcripts once your Fall grades come in. They wont assess your candidature until then unless you've got real good stats. 

2. A lawschool? Sure. Many? Probably. It's hard to give you something more specific without a region of interest or a list of schools you want to attend. I assume you want to stay in Ontario. Depending on how your L2/B2 and LSAT end up, you could be competitive at Queens, Western, Windsor, ryerson, lakehead and other schools out of province.

3. Apply before you write the LSAT. The deadline for all schools is different. OLSAS schools have an application deadline of November 01. Schools just wont process your information before you submit an LSAT.

P.S. you're not doing yourself any favors by writting January because it's late in the cycle. Try to write in November. 

Hi Thanks for your response.

1. That sounds good I can easily boost my CGPA  to a 3.6 then

2. I will try to write in November and study extra hard and get my PT ranges in high 160's but if I don't I will have to write in January.  Do you think writing in January will put me in any disadvantage compared to  writing in November and getting a 155+ score? Will a 155+ be even competitive to apply to law schools. I don't mind going outside province

3. Thank you will apply before I write the LSAT

Renerik
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Goku560 said:

Hi Thanks for your response.

1. That sounds good I can easily boost my CGPA  to a 3.6 then

2. I will try to write in November and study extra hard and get my PT ranges in high 160's but if I don't I will have to write in January.  Do you think writing in January will put me in any disadvantage compared to  writing in November and getting a 155+ score? Will a 155+ be even competitive to apply to law schools. I don't mind going outside province

3. Thank you will apply before I write the LSAT

January is just dicey because it's late in the cycle and the first round of admissions has already gone out. Depending on the score release schedule, two rounds might have gone by. 

Regarding competitiveness of X score, you should look at previous admitted threads at the schools you're considering. Look at what scores people with your GPA had and when in the cycle they were admitted. Many get in with a 3.6 and 155, but it's not a garantee, youd be straddling some lower margins.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Take the earlier LSAT and sign up for the layer one and do it as well if you don’t do as well as you hoped on the first. I don’t think a 155 will get you in anywhere.