Chances?

mud24

mud24
  • Law School Admit

What are my chances for this cycle? Preferably in western Canada. Will an LSAT retake be worth doing? 

LSAT - 160 

OLSAS

cGPA - 3.57

L2 - 3.79

4-Point Scale

cGPA - 3.6

L2 - 3.85

Edited by mud24

mud24
  • Law School Admit
23 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

convert your GPA etc. to OLSAS basis

It is converted above out of 4

Thrive92
  • Applicant

For U of A, TRU and U of C, I would say you shouldn't retake your lsat.

For Uvic and UBC, you may want to drop your worst courses according to each of the schools' policies and evaluate your chances.

mud24
  • Law School Admit
17 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

For U of A, TRU and U of C, I would say you shouldn't retake your lsat.

For Uvic and UBC, you may want to drop your worst courses according to each of the schools' policies and evaluate your chances.

Do you think UofA’s new highest LSAT policy hurt my chances? 

Goblin King
  • Law Student
20 minutes ago, mud24 said:

Do you think UofA’s new highest LSAT policy hurt my chances? 

Not unless your average LSAT was more competitive (relative to other applicants) than your highest LSAT. For example, if your highest and average LSAT scores were 160 and the median for UofA was 160 under the old policy and 162 under the new one, then yes the change in policy hurts you. It really depends on how much the median score inflates relative to your own score. 

mud24
  • Law School Admit
13 minutes ago, Goblin King said:

Not unless your average LSAT was more competitive (relative to other applicants) than your highest LSAT. For example, if your highest and average LSAT scores were 160 and the median for UofA was 160 under the old policy and 162 under the new one, then yes the change in policy hurts you. It really depends on how much the median score inflates relative to your own score. 

Yeah for sure. UofA is my top choice, and I don’t want to retake anymore to solely focus on my GPA for this upcoming semester. I’m at a tough spot where I have to decide whether to retake or not based on the median under new policy. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, mud24 said:

Yeah for sure. UofA is my top choice, and I don’t want to retake anymore to solely focus on my GPA for this upcoming semester. I’m at a tough spot where I have to decide whether to retake or not based on the median under new policy. 

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Even if the median lsat score for U of A increased because of the new policy, your gpa and your lsat are probably still within the highest 40th or 30th percentile. If you look at the admitted applicant profile for 2020/2021 (the cycle before the last one), those with a 3.85 L2 (rounded upto 3.9 only for the applicant profile purposes) needed an lsat score of 155 - 156 to get in.

Many see the competitive last cycle as an anomaly, so I think that the competitive statistics from last cycle is not really relevant compared to the upcoming cycle.

• Like 1