Please rate my Extracurriculars

Goku560

Goku560
  • Applicant

Hi all,

I am applying to law school this cycle.

Here is a list of my EC's please tell me if they are bad, good or great to go into law school thanks. With these EC's can I get into Law school with a 3.4 OLSAS cGPA and a 162 lsat score

1. Participant of the Ontario Summer Company program. Successfully completed this program in which you present a business idea and the government will fund you to run the business if they think it is a good idea. You have to make a business plan and do an interview. I got selected At the end of this program I was awarded a certificate by My city council including the city mayor and the MP. I also have pictures of it and I still run my business to this day

2. I volunteered at multiple festivals in my city. Such as the children festival and the rib festival. I also volunteered at my city's summer archery camp for children

3. I had a job of 5 months as an Office Administrator at not for profit organization this was a paid job

4. I participated at my University Accounting case competition. My team made it to the first round and the final round but unfortunately we came fourth we were so close. There were people competing from University of Waterloo for this competition. I have photos also to prove this participation

5. I also worked at my university farm house cutting grass, trimming and all that stuff.

6. I worked as a TA for my professor at my University

7. I am also a member of the metal health helper team at my university. I received training on how to help people with mental stress and illness. I also have the certificate for this from my university

8. I am also the head of chief technology office for the accounting club at my university this year.

9. Deans and president list distinctions on my transcript.

10. I am now selected to participate in the ICBC case competition by my University which is a global business case competition

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student

Extracurricular's are hard to rate as they're subjective and so many people have an impressive resume.

By my estimation, using no science whatsoever, I would say your EC's are probably average or slightly above for law school applicants. For reference, I worked full-time during undergrad and competed nationally in two different sports (in addition to clubs and other smaller activities). You have more varied experiences whereas mine were likely more of a time commitment and a direct comparison would be difficult. 

Edited by ThreeWhiteLights

3 hours ago, Goku560 said:

Hi all,

Here is a list of my EC's please tell me if they are bad, good or great to go into law school thanks. With these EC's can I get into Law school with a 3.4 OLSAS cGPA and a 162 lsat score

1. Participant of the Ontario Summer Company program. Successfully completed this program in which you present a business idea and the government will fund you to run the business if they think it is a good idea. You have to make a business plan and do an interview. I got selected At the end of this program I was awarded a certificate by My city council including the city mayor and the MP. I also have pictures of it and I still run my business to this day

2. I volunteered at multiple festivals in my city. Such as the children festival and the rib festival. I also volunteered at my city's summer archery camp for children

3. I had a job of 5 months as an Office Administrator at not for profit organization this was a paid job

4. I participated at my University Accounting case competition. My team made it to the first round and the final round but unfortunately we came fourth we were so close. There were people competing from University of Waterloo for this competition. I have photos also to prove this participation

5. I also worked at my university farm house cutting grass, trimming and all that stuff.

6. I worked as a TA for my professor at my University

7. I am also a member of the metal health helper team at my university. I received training on how to help people with mental stress and illness. I also have the certificate for this from my university

8. I am also the head of chief technology office for the accounting club at my university this year.

9. Deans and president list distinctions on my transcript.

10. I am now selected to participate in the ICBC case competition by my University which is a global business case competition

I don't think "paid' are considered EC.

LMP
  • Articling Student
25 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

Of course they are. What the hell are you talking about? 

• Like 5

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

Your ECs are very solid. As long as you frame them in a compelling fashion, you should definitely get accepted into a Canadian school with those stats. However, I would caution that most schools don't consider ECs heavily. I had minimal ECs and got into multiple schools 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Extracurricular Activities (Education) Law and Legal

1 hours ago Definitions.uslegal.com Get All 

LawExtracurricular Activities (Education) Law and Legal Definition. Extracurricular activities are nonacademic activities beyond academic courses such as sports, creative arts, and performing arts. Generally, such activities are voluntary. Extra-curricular activities are non-paying, social, philanthropic, and involve others of the same age.

LMP
  • Articling Student
6 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

LawExtracurricular Activities (Education) Law and Legal Definition. Extracurricular activities are nonacademic activities beyond academic courses such as sports, creative arts, and performing arts. Generally, such activities are voluntary. Extra-curricular activities are non-paying, social, philanthropic, and involve others of the same age.

This is your definition? You are going with "involves others of the same age" as a core element of your argument? So volunteering alone in a retirement home isn't an EC? Playing an instrument in an orchestra filled with older people isn't an EC? How do they let you practice law? 

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

I can find plenty of definitions on the internet that include paid positions as extracurriculars for students.

In terms of a law school application, paid work most certainly counts as an extracurricular and a good one at that. They just want to know what you did beyond school. 

Apple
  • Lawyer

These are fairly average ECs in my opinion. Combined with your LSAT and cGPA you can likely get into a law school, although not every. Your GPA and LSAT are what will carry the most weight in your application. 

14 hours ago, Goku560 said:

Hi all,

Your extracurriculars are fine.

What is your L2 / B2?

Your cGPA, L2/B2 and LSAT score are more important than your extracurriculars.

Edited by NowOrNever

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Your ECs are fairly average and run of the mill. They won't make or break your application. You haven't mentioned your personal statement which is far more important than ECs to the overall application.

• Like 1