Reapplication- Advice?

livitup1233

livitup1233
  • Applicant

I applied for 2021 cycle, was waitlisted at Uwo, clearly not going this year so am preparing to reapply. 

Couple questions for reapplying.

-Any general advice on what I should change? Should I completely re write my PS? I felt like it was strong tbh but I think my EC's were lacking which put me lower than other potential applicants.

-I do plan on re writing the LSAT because I got 162 twice but the second time, something really horrible and shocking happened to me 5 minutes before starting the LSAT flex and I actually wrote it while simultaneously having a panic attack lol. I know for a fact I can get 165+. Is it worth writing again or does it look bad to have written it 3x? 

-I have to re ask my referrees for reference letters correct? Kinda dreading this part as I asked a prof that I really look up to and don't want to admit to her I didnt get in lol

ANY other reapplication advice is VERY welcome. Thanks

Again I would like to go to Western

29 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

I applied for 2021 cycle, was waitlisted at Uwo, clearly not going this year so am preparing to reapply. 

-Any general advice on what I should change? Should I completely re write my PS? I felt like it was strong tbh but I think my EC's were lacking which put me lower than other potential applicants.

-I do plan on re writing the LSAT because I got 162 twice but the second time, something really horrible and shocking happened to me 5 minutes before starting the LSAT flex and I actually wrote it while simultaneously having a panic attack lol. I know for a fact I can get 165+. Is it worth writing again or does it look bad to have written it 3x? 

-I have to re ask my referrees for reference letters correct? Kinda dreading this part as I asked a prof that I really look up to and don't want to admit to her I didnt get in lol

You waitlisted at Western, right?

Ask them for feedback on how to improve your application.

Edited by NowOrNever

Apple
  • Lawyer

Assuming you've graduated, at this point all you can do is try and increase your LSAT and round out your ECs. Some schools don't care how many LSAT scores you have and will only look at the top score while others will average them. So, writing the LSAT multiple times can be a good and bad thing depending on the schools you apply to. 

You will have to ask your references again for them to support you, but there is no shame in doing so. People know it is competitive to get in. 

I recommend when you reapply you apply broadly, if you didn't already do so in the first application cycle. Of course, which schools you apply to should be governed by a realistic perspective of which schools you can get into (i.e., if your GPA and LSAT are not competitive for UofT don't apply there). 

livitup1233
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

You waitlisted at Western, right?

Ask them for a feedback on how to improve your application.

Yes I was waitlisted. I actually didn't know this was an option, but I'm glad to know it is!

livitup1233
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Assuming you've graduated, at this point all you can do is try and increase your LSAT and round out your ECs. Some schools don't care how many LSAT scores you have and will only look at the top score while others will average them. So, writing the LSAT multiple times can be a good and bad thing depending on the schools you apply to. 

You will have to ask your references again for them to support you, but there is no shame in doing so. People know it is competitive to get in. 

I recommend when you reapply you apply broadly, if you didn't already do so in the first application cycle. Of course, which schools you apply to should be governed by a realistic perspective of which schools you can get into (i.e., if your GPA and LSAT are not competitive for UofT don't apply there). 

Thanks for the response! I have graduated yes and I believe at this point its too late (for 2022 cycle at least) to get more volunteer hours etc, in, considering I work most hours of the day anyhow . I think I will definitely rewrite LSAT this Nov because I know I can do better. My cGPA is very uncompetitive unfortunately (3.36) and L2 is pretty average (3.7 I believe) so when I reapply, I'll have to keep that in mind as I know some schools prioritize cGPA and others dont. 

Again, this was a lot of help and very reassuring. I know the anxiety of reaching out to my prof again for a new reference letter is a bit irrational, I feel a bit like a bother but I just need to swallow my pride. 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

Yes I was waitlisted. I actually didn't know this was an option, but I'm glad to know it is!

Your L2 3.7 and LSAT 162 look good for Western:

Mean cumulative average:   3.5

Mean "Last 2" average:   3.7

Mean Highest LSAT Score:   161

If they tell you to get a higher LSAT score then go for it (2-3 points increase may not guarantee admission in your case).

Otherwise focus on other parts of your application.

Edited by NowOrNever

livitup1233
  • Applicant
41 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Your L2 3.7 and LSAT 162 look good for Western:

Mean cumulative average:   3.5

Mean "Last 2" average:   3.7

Mean Highest LSAT Score:   161

If they tell you to get a higher LSAT score then go for it (2-3 points increase may not guarantee admission in your case).

Otherwise focus on other parts of your application.

Thanks! I assumed initially that because this year was apparently so competitive, thats why I didnt get in but I have a feeling every year now will be similar to this years competitiveness. 

Do I email or call admissions about my application? Or doesnt matter

18 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

Thanks! I assumed initially that because this year was apparently so competitive, thats why I didnt get in but I have a feeling every year now will be similar to this years competitiveness. 

Do I email or call admissions about my application? Or doesnt matter

Email is better.

• Thanks 1

Piffle
  • Law Student

I agree with the practical advice offered here so far, so I'd just like to chime in with some words of encouragement, re: feeling embarrassed to tell your referees you weren't accepted.

I'm speaking from experience as someone who had to reapply. Really, don't sweat it. Your referees have already been willing to invest their time and effort into supporting your application once, so rest assured that they've got your back. Simply asking them  to re-upload their letters isn't a big deal.

Good luck!

Goku560
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, livitup1233 said:

I am curious to know if you applied at University of Windsor or Lakehead? If you are not comfortable telling here you can just send me a private message. Thanks!

I am asking because I have similar stats like you and I will be applying to Lake head and Windsor for Law . It will just help me to know my chances at these law schools thanks!

livitup1233
  • Applicant
50 minutes ago, Piffle said:

I agree with the practical advice offered here so far, so I'd just like to chime in with some words of encouragement, re: feeling embarrassed to tell your referees you weren't accepted.

I'm speaking from experience as someone who had to reapply. Really, don't sweat it. Your referees have already been willing to invest their time and effort into supporting your application once, so rest assured that they've got your back. Simply asking them  to re-upload their letters isn't a big deal.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!! This does ease the anxiety for sure, I definitely am worried about being a bother so its reassuring to hear it really isnt as big of a deal as my brain is making me think 🙂 Cheers!! 

4 minutes ago, Goku560 said:

I am curious to know if you applied at University of Windsor or Lakehead? If you are not comfortable telling here you can just send me a private message. Thanks!

I am asking because I have similar stats like you and I will be applying to Lake head and Windsor for Law . It will just help me to know my chances at these law schools thanks!

Hey! Unfortunately I did not. I applied to Western Queens and Ottawa. Got rejected from all but waitlisted at Western. Good luck ! From what I have heard, you have a good chance there. I have a friend who had slightly lower stats than me who was accepted to Windsor.

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

Your stats look fine, are your GPA calculations per OLSAS? And did you apply in November?

Edited by CheeseToast

5 hours ago, livitup1233 said:

CGpa 3.36 L2 3.7 LSAT 162

Were your GPA and L2 per OLSAS?

Are you planning to apply elsewhere?

livitup1233
  • Applicant
30 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Your stats look fine, are your GPA calculations per OLSAS? And did you apply in November?

Yes to everything. If stats are fine it would probably be a PS issue. I really felt like my PS was strong but perhaps I am too biased

1 minute ago, luckycharm said:

CGpa 3.36 L2 3.7 LSAT 162

Were your GPA and L2 per OLSAS?

Are you planning to apply elsewhere?

Yes those are my stats based on OLSAS. I was rejected this cycle from Queens and Ottawa, waitlisted at Western. my EC's are subpar for sure. Next cycle, I will likely apply to the same. I have no interest in leaving Ontario or going to Windsor or Lakehead. I also don't think I am competitive enough for anywhere in TO. Western for sure my first choice- graduated western 2020 

4 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

Yes to everything. If stats are fine it would probably be a PS issue. I really felt like my PS was strong but perhaps I am too biased

Yes those are my stats based on OLSAS. I was rejected this cycle from Queens and Ottawa, waitlisted at Western. my EC's are subpar for sure. Next cycle, I will likely apply to the same. I have no interest in leaving Ontario or going to Windsor or Lakehead. I also don't think I am competitive enough for anywhere in TO. Western for sure my first choice- graduated western 2020 

Write a third time is fine. All schools you mentioned will take the highest score.

Will you consider Ryerson too?

Your stats are borderline for Western but should be good for Queens. Ottawa is mainly a GPA school and 3.36 will

probably not cut it with a 161.

livitup1233
  • Applicant
23 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

Write a third time is fine. All schools you mentioned will take the highest score.

Will you consider Ryerson too?

Your stats are borderline for Western but should be good for Queens. Ottawa is mainly a GPA school and 3.36 will

probably not cut it with a 161.

I would consider Ryerson but would probably only go if it were the only school I got into. Would really like to go to school 2022 as my job is contractual and will end next summer. Going to rewrite LSAT and I am confident I can get at least a 165. Hopefully western will accept me w that as opposed to waitlist

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate your help

Piffle
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, livitup1233 said:

Thank you so much!! This does ease the anxiety for sure, I definitely am worried about being a bother so its reassuring to hear it really isnt as big of a deal as my brain is making me think 🙂 Cheers!! 

I'm rooting for you OP, as one fellow re applicant to another! I'm sure that your referees will be happy to support you again if you just email them with a tone of gracious humility -- and also dignified confidence that you'll get accepted this time around.

I do also agree with the posters above that given your current stats, you're best positioned for Western and Queen's. And also, that raising your LSAT to the mid/high 160s would be your best strategy at improving your chances.

Edited by Piffle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, livitup1233 said:

I would consider Ryerson but would probably only go if it were the only school I got into. Would really like to go to school 2022 as my job is contractual and will end next summer. Going to rewrite LSAT and I am confident I can get at least a 165. Hopefully western will accept me w that as opposed to waitlist

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate your help

consider hiring a tutor

some can offer on-line options