January LSAT

lawstudent99

lawstudent99
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, 

I have currently not taken the LSAT but intend on applying in this upcoming cycle. I was supposed to take it in October but don't think I will be ready anymore. I was wondering if taking it in January lowers my chances of getting in? Also wondering what score would be a "Safe score" for getting in to a Canadian Law School? Currently, I have a 3.68 cumulative GPA with my last 2 years being a 3.97. Thanks for all your help!

Thrive92
  • Applicant

It really depends on which school you would like to apply to.

Some schools have a rolling admissions policy, where the school accepts your January LSAT score, but by then they may have already reserved some or most seats for applicants who have all of their documents and lsat scores ready.

All in all, yes your chances of getting into some law schools may be lowered if you take the LSAT on January.

• Like 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, lawstudent99 said:

January lowers my chances of getting in?

Kind of… but not as much as writing it before you’re ready and getting a lower score. 

as for a safe score.. which school? There are median stats posted on most of their websites. Aim for that or higher.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

The October LSAT is still like 5-6 weeks away, no? That's a pretty standard length of time to study for an LSAT. Taking the January LSAT as your first may have an impact on your chances because the first round of admissions at many schools will have gone out by then.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Yeah looks like there is a November one, sometime the week of the 13th. Would suggest writing either October or November for the best chances.

3 hours ago, lawstudent99 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have currently not taken the LSAT but intend on applying in this upcoming cycle. I was supposed to take it in October but don't think I will be ready anymore. I was wondering if taking it in January lowers my chances of getting in? Also wondering what score would be a "Safe score" for getting in to a Canadian Law School? Currently, I have a 3.68 cumulative GPA with my last 2 years being a 3.97. Thanks for all your help!

if taking it in January lowers my chances of getting in? 

Most likely. I agree with other posters on taking Oct/Nov LSAT.

Edited by luckycharm