Chances

Bp123

Bp123
  • Applicant

Just need some honest truth on what my chances are my stats are cgpa 3.3./4 b2/l2 3.3,  lsat 161. I am applying broadly so just wondering if there is any insight on any schools that i would have a stronger chance to get into also will be applying to dual JD. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Unfortunately, I do not think you have competitive gpa/L2/B2 for Canadian law schools.

Have you considered taking some additional courses in order to improve your gpa? Keep in mind that some schools accept repeat courses, which may greatly improve your L2/B2

TomHagen
  • Applicant

I'd have to disagree with Thrive92. I got into USask this year with the same B2, and slightly higher LSAT. I think you would have a reasonable shot at USask, Tru, and Manitoba, and maybe some of the Ontario schools (though I'm not as familiar with those).

If you wanted to improve your chances you could try writing the LSAT again and aim for a 165+. Your gpa isn't necessarily going to help you, but it won't prevent you from admissions across the board, either. 

• Like 2

Thrive92
  • Applicant
38 minutes ago, TomHagen said:

I got into USask this year with the same B2, and slightly higher LSAT. 

No offense intended, but I really think that with stats of 3.3 and a 161 (or slightly higher lsat), one should not be given the advice  that they may be accepted into any law school. Although I do not know much about Manitoba, I know that there are people with higher stats that have been waitlisted or rejected outright for TRU. The same can be said about U of Sask (OP feel free to look at the rejected/waitlisted threads for both schools).

OP I highly encourage you to not be satisfied with your stats and work on them as much as you can; if you are unable to enroll into additional courses for the upcoming fall semester, I encourage you to aim for higher lsat for november or january takes.

Edited by Thrive92
reworded because it seemed way too mean

Goku560
  • Applicant
38 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

No offense intended, but I really think that with stats of 3.3 and a 161 (or slightly higher lsat), one should not be given the advice  that they may be accepted into any law school. Although I do not know much about Manitoba, I know that there are people with higher stats that have been waitlisted or rejected outright for TRU. The same can be said about U of Sask (OP feel free to look at the rejected/waitlisted threads for both schools).

OP I highly encourage you to not be satisfied with your stats and work on them as much as you can; if you are unable to enroll into additional courses for the upcoming fall semester, I encourage you to aim for higher lsat for november or january takes.

I believe you are wrong BTW picture is from 2021 accepted thread. I checked the acceptance thread of TRU and people similar to his stats got in see picture below:

wdw.JPG

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Goku560 said:

I believe you are wrong BTW picture is from 2021 accepted thread. I checked the acceptance thread of TRU and people similar to his stats got in see picture below:

wdw.JPG

the picture you posted is an applicant with 0.2 L2 higher than the OP... The difference between a 0.2 gpa anywhere between a 3.3 and a 3.5 is significant for admissions purposes

Also, there are those with similar stats as the picture who are waitlisted in the same cycle, so it is possible that a 3.5 gpa and a 161 lsat is right on the border between acceptance and a waitlist for TRU. Whichever the case may be, OP is below this stat, so it is difficult to say that OP may be accepted with stats lower than the individual in the picture.

image.thumb.png.1b6981a313bc28b0aef30c53edea362c.png

• Like 1

Bp123
  • Applicant

thanks everyone for the response, cant really change my gpa due to being graduated. But i am planning on rewriting lsat i know its a longshot but i fingers crossed

Thrive92
  • Applicant
21 minutes ago, Bp123 said:

thanks everyone for the response, cant really change my gpa due to being graduated. But i am planning on rewriting lsat i know its a longshot but i fingers crossed

there are some schools that accept courses taken after graduation under "open studies".

Good luck

scooter
  • Law Student

Compare your stats to the median GPA and LSAT at different schools. If you are below both medians, you are unlikely to get in but it's possible if you're an exceptional candidate in other ways. If you are below the GPA median but above the LSAT median you have better chances. If you are above both medians then you have a good chance of being admitted.

Your GPA is below almost every school's median (as far as I know). Your 161 LSAT is right at/below many school's medians. If you can raise your LSAT by a few points, it could make a significant difference in your chances. Being above the LSAT median and below the GPA media (a "splitter") is better than being below both medians. 

Keep in mind that schools want to make sure that you will be successful academically. You'll need to address your academic ability in other sections of your application. You want to make the admissions committee feel confident that you will be successful at their school. Think about how you can address the concerns they'd have. For example, is your GPA weighed down by one really bad year which you can explain? Do your grades show an upward trend (would be a positive in their eyes)? There are many factors that could help "overcome" your 3.3 GPA and improve your chances.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, Bp123 said:

hire a private tutor