Chances?

Cheesecake_Princess

Cheesecake_Princess
  • Law School Admit

Wanted to get some honest insight on my chances. My stats are: cGPA 3.01, B3 3.68, L2 3.69 with a first time LSAT of 164. I'm planning on applying broadly and will likely retake the LSAT to make up for my unfortunate cGPA. I'll be applying with 2 years of work experience in consulting. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant

I would say you are a shoe in for U of Alberta, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and TRU. You would also have a great chance in Dalhousie.

Is there a specific law school in mind that you would like to attend?

• Angry 1

Electricity
  • Law Student

What are your top choices? There are law schools that will admit you with those statistics, but you probably won't have much luck at cGPA schools such as Ottawa. At schools like Queen's, Western, Calgary, Dalhousie, etc., where they look primarily at your last two years, you've got a stronger shot. I think UofT/UBC/McGill are probably well out of reach.

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Electricity said:

I think UofT/UBC/McGill are probably well out of reach.

Keep in mind OP that UBC and Uvic drops your worst x credits based on how many credits you have taken in total. IIRC, for UBC its 12 credits dropped for 120 credits and for Uvic its 18 credits dropped for 120 credits (although for Uvic upto 30 credits are dropped depending on how many courses you have taken).

Electricity
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

Keep in mind OP that UBC and Uvic drops your worst x credits based on how many credits you have taken in total. IIRC, for UBC its 12 credits dropped for 120 credits and for Uvic its 18 credits dropped for 120 credits (although for Uvic upto 30 credits are dropped depending on how many courses you have taken).

Right, I forgot about the drops at UBC. If you have a bunch of failed courses and dropping your worst credits bumps you up significantly, you might have a shot there. But it'd also probably require writing your next LSAT in the 166+ range too.

13 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

I would say you are a shoe in for U of Alberta, Calgary

I'd disagree here, especially given the most recent cycle. You've got a pretty good shot with your current stats - around maybe 60% at each school, but you're not a shoe-in. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Electricity said:

Right, I forgot about the drops at UBC. If you have a bunch of failed courses and dropping your worst credits bumps you up significantly, you might have a shot there. But it'd also probably require writing your next LSAT in the 166+ range too.

I'd disagree here, especially given the most recent cycle. You've got a pretty good shot with your current stats - around maybe 60% at each school, but you're not a shoe-in. 

OP's stats are above the average of accepted applicants for U of A. With the 2 years of work experience, OP is guaranteed for U of C as well with above - average stats there as well. It's a shoe in fo sho

Electricity
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Thrive92 said:

OP's stats are above the average of accepted applicants for U of A.

Sure, but being at the median or even slightly above isn't what "shoe-in" means. And as I mentioned earlier, medians are a little unpredictable given the recent increase in applications. It's also worth noting that unless you're a borderline candidate, UofA doesn't really care about your softs. 

@Cheesecake_Princess best of luck in your admissions cycle! If you specify which schools you're aiming for it may be a bit easier for people to gauge what your chances are. 

Cheesecake_Princess
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, Electricity said:

Sure, but being at the median or even slightly above isn't what "shoe-in" means. And as I mentioned earlier, medians are a little unpredictable given the recent increase in applications. It's also worth noting that unless you're a borderline candidate, UofA doesn't really care about your softs. 

@Cheesecake_Princess best of luck in your admissions cycle! If you specify which schools you're aiming for it may be a bit easier for people to gauge what your chances are. 

Thank you @Electricity and @Thrive92 for your insight! I'm definitely interested in UofA, UofC and possibly Western and Queen's. I'll definitely be looking into boosting my LSAT score as well, really appreciate your input! 

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, Electricity said:

The increased stats from last cycle is an unusual, but likely to be an exception. Many believe that the high standards from last cycle will not continue. As U of A is a strict numbers - only school, I would definitely say OP is a shoe - in there. As for U of C, sure I guess we can view it pessimistically and say it is not a shoe - in, but it is also safe to say that OP is much more likely to be accepted into U of C than to be flat out rejected.

Just now, Cheesecake_Princess said:

I'll definitely be looking into boosting my LSAT score as well, really appreciate your input! 

Good luck OP. If I were you, I would rest easy knowing that I am guaranteed a spot in at least one law school this cycle (U of A). Of course, it is completely upto you to consider retaking the LSAT or not.

Edited by Thrive92
correction

20 hours ago, Cheesecake_Princess said:

Wanted to get some honest insight on my chances. My stats are: cGPA 3.01, B3 3.68, L2 3.69 with a first time LSAT of 164. I'm planning on applying broadly and will likely retake the LSAT to make up for my unfortunate cGPA. I'll be applying with 2 years of work experience in consulting. 

Was there any reasons for your lower year 1 grades?

law34
  • Applicant

Hi, was really curious on my chances for fall 2022. Im looking to apply to ryerson, osgood, queens or western (osgoode and ryerson are my top choices)

My cumulative gpa is 3.73 and l2 is 3.81 and my lsat score is 160.

What do you think my chances are?