Chances and Advice about Retaking

bostoncream

bostoncream
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, I took the LSAT for the first time in August and my score is lower than I wanted or expected (PTs averaged in the mid-160s and I got a 160) and so I'm wondering if it might be worth retaking. I am currently in my fourth year of undergrad and applying to UOttawa, York, Queens, UWindsor and maybe McGill. OLSAS CGPA/L2 = 3.68, B2 = 3.8, B3 = 3.73 and my ECs are good I think (gov summer job, RA for ~1 year, bank internship and exec in 2 clubs). What are my chances, should I retake? My main concern is that my GPA is at or below the medians for some of these schools and so I feel like doing better on the LSAT would really boost my application, and based on my PTs I definitely think I could do better, but I'm not sure if it's worth the stress of trying to study for the LSAT during the semester. 

Edited by bostoncream
Adding B2 GPA

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

If you scored higher on the LSAT your chances would be better. Your ECs are par for the course, so you're likely going to be assessed on your numbers and possibly the strength of your PS. But a higher LSAT makes your chances better.

joe doe
  • Applicant

Hey @bostoncream,

I won't speak on your chances because I'm an applicant myself and I'm new to this process. But, I was in the same position as you in April. My April score was a 161, and I didn't feel comfortable with it because of the competitiveness of the last cycle and 160 is generally thought of as the minimum score to be competitive. I retook in June, and ended up with a 168. This isn't to say that you should retake because you'll definitely increase your score, but it was my experience that the familiarity you have from the first take makes the second take less stressful (on top of more time to study). I did summer courses and worked a job while studying for my retake, and if I can do it, I'm sure you can too (if you choose).

Edited by joe doe
wording