Toronto VS Calgary Pay Scale

smokedsalmonisgreat

smokedsalmonisgreat

Can someone please enlighten me on how the pay structure works in Calgary? I am debating between Toronto and Calgary currently. I have seen the Toronto pay structures throughout years 1-6 but nothing on Calgary. (I.E Toronto starts at $120,000 for first year etc, whereas Calgary seems to start at $85,000 or perhaps is more since Toronto put out raises)

Also, can someone elaborate on how people in Calgary are considered 2nd year associates faster than people in Ontario and are paid as 2nd year associates faster?

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I don't know the actual Calgary grid, funnily enough, despite being an articling student in Calgary. It just seems a bit crass to ask at the very start of articling before I'm even having hireback discussions - I'm a fairly direct person, but even still. Regardless, it's a bit up in the air because of Cassels, as I'm already hearing some rumours of responses from the firms here.

Summering and articling in Calgary you make a lot less. Like $1250/wk instead of $1800 or whatever Bay is paying at the moment. Calgary also tends to article for 12 months instead of 8 in Toronto.

The year you're called, Calgary will make first year salary (call it 85 like you said) for the rest of the year of call. We also tend to just keep working through hireback instead of taking a break like I believe Toronto does. So Calgary's year of call will look something like Jan-July at $1250/wk, then August-Dec at $1635/wk. Then year of call + 1 you move to a "2nd year" pay, probably something in the range of 105k, for that whole year.

For Toronto, at least at my firm the students will end their articling term and then have a few months off. So your year of call will be like, Jan-March/April at articling pay, then a break, then whenever your hireback date is you're making 1st year pay of 110k for the rest of that year. But then year of call + 1 you still make the 110k.

So overall, by year of call + 1 Calgary is making 105 and Toronto is making 110. Within touching distance, as the Brits say.

• 1 month later...
d745
  • Articling Student

Can confirm here's how the typical Calgary "Big Law" payscale works:

• Articling (post-graduation August until the following August):  $65,000
  • September until December following articling/being called to the bar (considered a "first year" associate): $85,000
  • January after articling/being called to the bar (considered a "second year" associate): $105,000

It's silly because you're considered a "first year" associate for like 4 months, then they bump you up to 105k in the january after your bar call.

• Thanks 1

Gonewest
  • Lawyer

@smokedsalmonisgreat Associate at large Calgary firm. New scale that I've seen (old in brackets):

2021: about 95k may vary by firm (85-92k)
2020: 115k (105k)
2019: 145k (130k)
2018: 165k (150k)
2017: 185k (170k)
2016 & older: variable. 

*Disclaimer: these raises have all just happened in the past couple of days and the dust is still settling on some of the fine details. However, it looks to be a 10-15k raise per class year.

Edited by Gonewest
  • Thanks 1

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

I'm bullish on Calgary. Really low cost of living with lots of investment potential

Lol. Want to buy my condo?

• LOL 1

smokedsalmonisgreat
5 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

I'm bullish on Calgary. Really low cost of living with lots of investment potential

@TheDevilIKnowim assuming you are referring to the downturn on the real estate market...though I will say it does go up and down consistently..hold onto it!!!!

goonersfc
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

Heard a lot of people saying this. But having moved from Toronto to Calgary earlier this year, the only sphere my cost of living has lowered is my rent (by about $400 per month). And my articling salary is set to go down by $800 per week! On every other front, the difference is barely noticeable.

As someone who doesn't ever plan on owning real estate, the difference in cost of living seems exaggerated to me and there is nothing that justifies such a staggering salary cap difference in the two cities.