Chances? 3.81 + 161

StressedLlama

StressedLlama
  • Law School Admit

Hey guys,

I wanted to know what you guys think my chances are for the following law schools: Osgoode, UofT, Queen's, and Ryerson. I'm also applying to Western, Windsor, and Ottawa so if you guys have any input about my chances in those schools as well, please go for it! (Realistically speaking, I know UofT is probably going to be a long shot for me because of my LSAT score).

LSAT: 161

cGPA: 3.81

L2: 3.92

B3: 3.89

I completed my undergrad from the Schulich School of Business at York University this past April. I specialized in Economics and Finance. I'd like to believe that the somewhat strong reputation of Schulich can help my application but I'm definitely not relying on it (I'm just tryna hang onto any sliver of hope and positive thoughts that I can find at this point). It could make no difference to my application for all I know.

All my extracurriculars and community involvement revolve around my passion for writing. I was a writer for Schulich's magazine, I self-published my own poetry book back in high school, and have had a bunch of my poems and articles published for my local, religious community's magazine. Other than that, I've done a handful of other volunteer work for my local community but nothing that I think is worth elaborating on. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing for my application that my extracurricular and volunteer work is almost exclusively related to one thing. But it's the reality.

Other than that, I'm currently pursuing my Master's in Economics at York University.

Any opinions and input regarding my chances and the potential strength of my application are appreciated! 🙂

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

Save your money and narrow it down to 3 or 4 schools. You have an A cumulative GPA and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile. You're also doing a master's degree. I think you know very well what your chances are for these schools. You may even get rejected from Windsor because they think your stats are too strong and you'll likely go elsewhere. I'm assuming you want to do Biglaw in Toronto? Just go to Osgoode, Western, or Queen's. 

StressedLlama
  • Law School Admit
7 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Save your money and narrow it down to 3 or 4 schools. You have an A cumulative GPA and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile. You're also doing a master's degree. I think you know very well what your chances are for these schools. You may even get rejected from Windsor because they think your stats are too strong and you'll likely go elsewhere. I'm assuming you want to do Biglaw in Toronto? Just go to Osgoode, Western, or Queen's. 

Narrowing down the schools I apply to definitely sounds like a good idea. 

Isn't my LSAT score a bit on the edge though? I'm scared it's the one thing that's making the difference between a potential acceptance and rejection for me. I've noticed that those who have gotten accepted with LSAT scores similar to mine have amazingly strong ECs, which I don't think I have. 

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, StressedLlama said:

Narrowing down the schools I apply to definitely sounds like a good idea. 

Isn't my LSAT score a bit on the edge though? I'm scared it's the one thing that's making the difference between a potential acceptance and rejection for me. I've noticed that those who have gotten accepted with LSAT scores similar to mine have amazingly strong ECs, which I don't think I have. 

What do you mean? 160-162 is competitive for most law schools in Canada. 

https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/class-stats

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/eligibility-requirements/ 

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/class_profiles.html