OCI "Alternate"

spinelli

spinelli
  • Law Student

Anyone received an OCI after being listed as an alternate? Was listed as #1 alternate for a Bay St firm and curious what my chances are getting an OCI with them/how the process even works. 

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

I got two bonus OCIs as alternate #1 and alternate #2 when I did OCIs, so in my experience the chances are definitely not bad. A decent number of candidates turn down their OCI slots because they'd accepted offers from employers in other markets and are no longer recruiting, got too many OCIs to fit into their schedule, etc. And when those slots free up, the alternates can step in. 

cherrytree
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, spinelli said:

That's good news! When were you notified about getting those OCIs? 

I can't remember exactly but I had ample notice, probably a week prior to the day of. People are encouraged to reject OCI invites they have zero intention of taking ASAP so that others can step up and take the opportunities in this way

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I’m in this position now too (alternate #1 for a bay st firm) and wondering how your situation turned out and if you got the oci?

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

How did you find out you were an alternate? I picked up another few OCIs the day after they came out or so, but I wasn’t notified I was an alternate - I just got the email from career services. 

QMT20
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

How did you find out you were an alternate? I picked up another few OCIs the day after they came out or so, but I wasn’t notified I was an alternate - I just got the email from career services. 

Probably different for different schools. At Queen's the CDO tries as much as possible to not let you know you're the alternate for a firm's OCIs. For example, they tell certain people about their OCIs early if they're in a position where they have too many. They want people to drop their extra OCIs early so that students who are alternates don't feel like they're at a disadvantage for their OCI. 

It's possible at other schools they inform you if you're an alternate when everyone's list comes out so you can plan which ones to take on. I would just take on all the OCIs I'm offered but some people feel there's a "right" number to do. 

55 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Our career services portal which notified us of which OCIs we received tells us specifically if we are an alternate and which number on the list you are. 

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

For what it's worth, I was #1 on the waiting list for a number of firms and didn't get off the list. 

spinelli
  • Law Student
On 10/2/2021 at 8:34 AM, lawblaws said:

Hey I’m in this position now too (alternate #1 for a bay st firm) and wondering how your situation turned out and if you got the oci?

I got off the list and was offered an OCI on the final day to accept/decline interviews. I was an alternate for another firm as well and moved up the list but didn't get off it.