Applying with Low LSAT Score

Future Law Student

Future Law Student
  • Applicant

Can anyone let me know what’s the lowest LSAT you guys have seen being accepted? 

I gave my first LSAT in August and got only 154. I am going to give another one in coming week and hopeful to get 160+. Also, I have 4.0/4.0 GPA with strong personal statement. 

I want to apply now stating them to consider my Oct score but am afraid to get rejected based on 154 basis. Will they do that or will wait for Oct score to be released? 

Worst case scenario my this exam doesn’t go well - is there a point to apply with 154 and retake in January? 

• 4 weeks later...
A raging beagle
  • Applicant

"No emails denying admission will be made prior to receipt of the January LSAT scores. "

Source: http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,207,358,326

My interpretation is that if you tell them you're writing Nov or Jan LSAT, they'll review your files and decide whether your current stats are competitive enough for an early offer, if not then they'll wait for your LSAT score update and then review again, no rejection will be made until your last LSAT score is updated. So applying early wouldn't hurt. 

I'll email them to double check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Borat
  • Law Student

@Future Law Student It's very rare to see anyone with an LSAT score below 160 getting admitted to UBC in the general category. If you're applying you should state on your application you are retaking, and they'll wait until your new score comes out.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:35 AM, Future Law Student said:

Also, I have 4.0/4.0 GPA with strong personal statement. 

UBC also uses percentages for admissions, not the 4.0 or 4.33 GPA scale. You should convert your marks to a percentage in order to determine how competitive you are. Theoretically, a perfect 4.0 GPA would convert to 86% (although you should calculate conversions for each individual course). With an 86% GPA, you'll need an LSAT of around 163 to be competitive. 

You should probably get someone to proofread your personal statement. I don't mean to be too harsh, but your post above has several grammar issues which are very conspicuous. Such errors in your statement would reflect very poorly on your application.

• Thanks 1

Future Law Student
  • Applicant

Perfect! Thank you @A raging beagle and @Borat for the help! ✌🏻

There was an option in the application regarding the future retakes.  

17 hours ago, Borat said:

You should probably get someone to proofread your personal statement. I don't mean to be too harsh, but your post above has several grammar issues which are very conspicuous. Such errors in your statement would reflect very poorly on your application.

Sure, there will be a difference as this is just a random post and that will be an application to a law school.

I had someone review it before submission but I didn’t make drastic changes. I want my personal statement to genuinely reflect my capabilities as an immigrant and non-native speaker. I don’t want to stuck at law school if I am not going to succeed there. 😅

Thank you for the suggestion though! 😃

• Like 2