LSO Licensing Application Question SOS

Jerry.Buckets

Jerry.Buckets
  • Law Student

Hello,

Sorry if this is not the right space, I am new here. 

I am currently completing my LSO licensing application and I got to the "good character" section, and I originally checked "No" to all the boxes (like an idiot) and I now am concerned I overlooked something.

Question 1 states: . Have you ever been found guilty of, or convicted of, any offence under any statute?

Please exclude: i) speeding and parking tickets;

So here's the thing, I have two speeding tickets in the last 2 years. One I just got, and one that was plead down to a "disobey sign" infraction. Should I include the disobey sign conviction in my good character application? If so, would anyone know how I go about amending my application? I think I would need a "good character amendment form" but I am unsure if this is signed and printed with my application or submitted online.

The other problem is since the ticket in question that was pled down was over a year ago, I no longer have the ticket, conviction notice etc. I have photos, proof of payment of the fine, and my drivers abstract proving I was convicted. I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated..do any lawyers have any thoughts?

Edited by Jerry.Buckets

Jerry.Buckets
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I would not worry too much but do follow up with the law society to be sure. 

When I call them, they refuse to answer the question unfortunately.

epeeist
  • Lawyer

@Jerry.Buckets

I am expressing no opinion as to what you should do. I am just checking that, if you do decide to submit an amendment, you know there's a form for that on the LSO website, easily found with a Google search? I don't normally like to enable people who don't do searches first, but since I looked it up anyway:

https://lawsocietyontario.azureedge.net/media/lso/media/becoming-licensed/lp05frmgoodcharacteramendment.pdf

Though in fairness from the description in the good character section of the licensing process the form might be intended for changed circumstances, not an oops-I-just-realized situation, it includes a checkbox for attaching a detailed explanation.

Jerry.Buckets
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I would not worry too much but do follow up with the law society to be sure. 

When I spoke to them today, the told me it's always better to disclose anything if you are unsure. They told me I could fill out a good character amendment and include it and supporting documentation with my paper application. 

I have also seen a "application amendment form" https://lawsocietyontario.azureedge.net/media/lso/media/becoming-licensed/lp08frmappamendment.pdf. This form has a space for good character amendments, but on the "Completing the Lawyer Licensing Process Application" page it says it is for name changes or proof of legal education. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...