What do lawyers use to carry around their things?

MiceInRice

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student

Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't have any family or friends involved in the legal profession or any white-collar profession. What do most male lawyers or articling/summer students use to carry around all their stuff? Some sort of briefcase or leather messenger-type bag? Hoping to get this purchase out of the way before the summer gets too close. I appreciate any tips!

I use a messenger bag, though the exact one I have doesn't seem to be available any more. I used a briefcase back when I was at a firm and carried more files back and forth. But with things going paperless, I almost never carry files any more.

• Thanks 1

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

I got a leather messenger style bag that was big enough to fit my laptop, a few files from the office, and a criminal code. You can also carry it like a briefcase and look more professional if you don't want to sling it across your back/chest. 

I use the messenger bag most of the time. If I have a hearing or need to lug more files around I have the briefcase on wheels thing. 

I would probably go with a leather messenger bag unless you want to look like a banker or need a briefcase for some reason.

• Thanks 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I just use the same (cloth, if that matters) backpack as law school. If it's good enough for ibankers, it's good enough for me.

• Like 1

I tried some more professional looking bags. But I’m back to a comfortable, nylon backpack. Which I now wear happily, even if I look like an elderly undergrad student. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Vizslaw said:

I got a leather messenger style bag that was big enough to fit my laptop, a few files from the office, and a criminal code. You can also carry it like a briefcase and look more professional if you don't want to sling it across your back/chest. 

I use the messenger bag most of the time. If I have a hearing or need to lug more files around I have the briefcase on wheels thing. 

I would probably go with a leather messenger bag unless you want to look like a banker or need a briefcase for some reason.

I also went this route, and it was useful for the few times I had to visit a client as an articling student. But generally speaking I tried my best to never carry a bag with me anywhere. I hate carrying things with a passion, so I made sure all my notes and documents were electronic. I could log into my firm's systems from anywhere to do the work and everything would be waiting for me when I needed it. Once I got called, clients came to me so I never had to really take any files anywhere, though if I did, I'd use the same leather messenger bag if necessary.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I'm in corporate so I can be as lightweight on the physical paperwork as my practice allows. Other practice areas, particularly litigation, don't have such luxury. You can always get one of those rolling bags pilots use if you need to carry lots of stuff around.

• Like 1

You can't carry nothing. You have to at least carry your laptop. Or at least a notebook.

We are paperless, but I can't go around without a bag. Where would i put my computer, water bottle, maybe a small snack, etc?

28 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

You can't carry nothing. You have to at least carry your laptop. Or at least a notebook.

We are paperless, but I can't go around without a bag. Where would i put my computer, water bottle, maybe a small snack, etc?

1) I have an iPad at the office I take written notes on that syncs with OneNote.

2) I have a computer at my office and at home. Why do I need a third one?

3) Keep a water bottle at the office.

4) I have a snack drawer that I replenish from a shop in the lobby. Though I purposely keep it low because I want to keep myself discouraged from snacking.

Law student perspective. I got a leather messenger bag with handles before summering and it was great. It was just enough to fit my laptop, water bottle, notebook, and a couple files if needed. I went to court a lot this summer and went to a few client's offices and homes and it was perfect for everything. Also, got a lot of compliments so that was an added bonus. 

• Like 1

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

You should know that as a lawyer, you have the privilege of having a strong articling student who is your personal pack mule/baggage train. If one is not enough, bring two to three. They are also great at holding your coffee and opening doors for you.

(I am kidding fyi)

My standard "armament" is a large over the shoulder bag which holds my laptop, key texts (e.g. Ontario Court Procedure 5th Edition, Sopinka on Evidence), my pen case, notepads, tissues, agenda, phone etc. I also pull a catalogue briefcase for my files.

Get your personal locker at your local law association. I do dump some of my books, shoes, and change of clothes there.

Edited by Aureliuse

I personally don’t love the look of a messenger bag, and have always gone more for a larger work bag that can fit my laptop/iPad and daily essentials in it. 

If we’re on a budget, Amazon has great ones. I found my leather upscale bag at a thrift store!

I also am the guy that has a second life in my office at work. Suits, tooth brush, work water bottle, etc. So a lot easier to get away with a smaller amount of things. 

Edited by tails

When I was working at a firm I had a more traditional leather briefcase that actually had room for my laptop and a file, or bound book of cases or documents, or other stuff like that. Now that we're paperless a slim messenger bag is all I need.

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I've used a nylon messenger bag since sometime in the middle of law school. It's big enough to fit a laptop plus a 3-inch thick file (or a packed lunch, or a few books, etc.). For what I do that's almost always been enough, including for court and arbitrations. The only times it hasn't been were for going to court on very large files. On a couple of occasions I've borrowed a colleague's roller case, but on the really big files even that wasn't enough so I used bankers boxes on a handcart. Of course, that's just for going to and from the courthouse from the office - even on those days, when I commuted I just used my little messenger bag. 

They don't make mine anymore, but the closest thing to mine would be the Arc'teryx Blade 6 without the backpack straps.

• 2 years later...
Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student

reviving this topic! any recommendation on tote bags for carrying my laptop and files around? I am looking for something that is black, sturdy, has a zipper, and does not have a logo (not a deal breaker if it has a mini one). Thank you for your help! 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, Propertylawnotmything said:

reviving this topic! any recommendation on tote bags for carrying my laptop and files around? I am looking for something that is black, sturdy, has a zipper, and does not have a logo (not a deal breaker if it has a mini one). Thank you for your help! 

Lately I've been a fan of the bags from a brand called Timbuk2. They have a few variations of tote bags that match your description!

Other options: Bellroy, Lululemon, Monos

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Thanks 1

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Lately I've been a fan of the bags from a brand called Timbuk2. They have a few variations of tote bags that match your description!

Other options: Bellroy, Lululemon, Monos

THANK YOU!!!! Monos is a perfect match for me 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
N. Mink
  • Lawyer

Soft leather briefcase (essentially a high-quality messenger bag, strap removed). 

I’ve used it for years and often get compliments on it (it’s a ‘designer’ brand, but without obvious branding). 

It’s really all I ever need to use, even during trial. Though I do have a junior or support staff do the heavy-lifting with respect to binders etc when necessary.