How to study for the bar?

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

Looking for some fresh answers from recent calls.

I heard people divide the LSO material into separate binders according to topic. Then they purchase an index from OLE. Do you put an index in each binder? Or just use one? Are the indexes divide by topic? 

Then I read advice to read the material twice then do practice exams. Where is the best place to buy them, how many should I do? How many can I buy? 

I heard if I didn’t take admin law - the lso makes you take a course on it or something? I want to write it after 3L before articles, is this doable? 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

bolobao
  • Lawyer

Different things work for different people. To me, I would make the following points:

• The Ontario bar exam is, certainly if you went to law school in Ontario and probably Canada, mostly about managing your time and writing multiple choice exams in a general sense. I certainly wouldn't call it overly technical or complex for someone who's made it through Canadian law school. But it is a lengthy multiple choice exam, and depending on what you did in undergrad you may not have much experience writing such eams. 
  • Each question is worth the same, no matter how long it takes you. Important to remember this. 
  • Back in my day, folks passed around a spreadsheet that would give you a sense of about what question you should be on at whatever minute into the exam. This is super helpful, it tells you if you're on a good pace, can slow down, etc.
  • Is a ton of the exam still professional responsibility (it was in my day)? If so, allocate your study time accordingly.
  • I got in a group with some classmates and made an index, exchanged that index with other groups, and brought like 2-3 indexes to the exam... but to be honest, 90%+ of the time that I actually looked up an answer I just used the detailed table of contents to find the section. To me, the detailed ToC is broken up into an organized structure, into relatively logical chunks: why use an index that is just alphabetical? 
  • You probably do not need to look up every answer. I think folks who look up every answer put themselves at big risk for running out of time. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1