Biglaw partner pay in Calgary and Vancouver vs Toronto

Andalusian2400

Andalusian2400
  • Applicant

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but generally do partners make more in Toronto than Calgary and Vancouver. I ask because associate salaries seem quite different.

On a related note, do you find the Vancouver or Calgary work culture to be more relaxed/california-esque than Toronto?

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Andalusian2400 said:

On a related note, do you find the Vancouver or Calgary work culture to be more relaxed/california-esque than Toronto?

No. I'd guess we dress a little more casually, but I'm assuming by California-esque you mean flip flops and video game lounges in the office, which is a hard no.

As far as 'work hard play hard' goes, Calgary is more work hard and then go home, with some firm cultures differing.

I summered at a national firm in Vancouver this past summer. The partner who gave me the most work showed up in a baseball cap, t-shirt, shorts, and flip flop daily.  I think I saw a total of four lawyers wearing suits the whole summer. Oh and the junior associates had very good sneaker game.

EDIT: to answer your real question, yes partners and associates in Toronto tend to make more than out west. 

Edited by Ramesses

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

2020/2021 are hard to use as benchmarks though. I've worn sweatpants to like 90% of my days of work.

Hoping to go back to work business casual though.

Yes to pay. I will note that Calgary on average make more than Vancouver, comparably. 

In terms of culture, I’ve never worked in Toronto, but my friends that are there have similar vibes to me in Calgary, which is pretty chill to be honest. I haven’t worn a suit (client events aside) since March of 2020. I think it depends on the area of law/group in regards to the play hard thing (ie securities groups infamously like to party hardy). I have gone out for drinks with some colleagues maybe once a month? Maybe. I think COVID has changed the culture of law firms quite a bit. 

Edited by tails