Are exams and assignments all submitted online now?

GGrievous

GGrievous
  • Law Student

I wanted to piggyback on the computers thread but then thought it might differ quite a bite between schools/classes. But I wanted to get a better idea of how exams and assignments work. I imagine you take the exams online for the most part, but are there still paper exams given as well? Is it better to study for these paper exams using paper methods and handwriting? 

As for assignments, what typically goes into them? I imagine you do some research work and then write papers. Is this all done on Word and then you submit a PDF at the end? 

Rumcola
  • Lawyer

Everything I did in law school I submitted electronically. For exams, at least when they were in-person, they usually distributed a physical copy of the exam questions. Most people would then type their answers into a specific exam software on their laptops and return the paper containing the exam questions at the end. Some people did choose to handwrite their exam answers though, in which case they would submit the booklets they wrote in to the exam proctors. Sometimes there were take home exams, so I would just retrieve the exam questions from a specific link and then type my answers into a word document and submit that electronically. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Last (school) year all exams for me (Queen's) were online and not proctored. Studying for exams using paper and hand writing would be pointless IMO. You (better) be able to type faster than you can handwrite. I printed all my exams so I could read, highlight, make notes on it, etc. 

Assignments vary - for legal research and writing you'll likely have to prepare a legal memo and factum, which yes - is research and then writing. They will ease you into it and there are lots of ways to get help if you're confused. Other than that, assignments can be whatever the fuck your prof feels like assigning. For example: essays where you have to criticize the reasoning in a judgement, negotiation simulations, contract drafting, memo's, quizzes, fact pattern responses, etc.

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Thanks 1