Too many credits during undergrad

Megjackson

Megjackson
  • Law Student

Apparently I will finish my bachelors degree with 129 credits because I took too many lower levels before I transfered from one school to another. 

How does this affect how my credits are looked at during the application process? Will schools that drop the lowest 6 or 12 credits, still drop 6 or 12 then look at the rest? Or will the extra credits be ignored then will they drop 12 credits from my 120? 

Now that i think of it Will, Will this even be an issue at all? I'm gonna apply in fall 2022 for fall 2023 intake, and my degree will be completed in spring 2023 semester. 

Megjackson
  • Law Student

Yeah thats that i thought. So will schools like ubc that take off the lowest 6 or 12 still only take off 6 or 12? 

Is this a good or bad thing for me? Because it kind of gives me more opportunity to get higher usable grades, but now they're going to look at 123 or 117 credits instead of 114 or 108 credits? 

Borat
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, Megjackson said:

Is this a good or bad thing for me?

Well it would definitely be good for you if your extra credits help bring up your average, and obviously bad if you perform poorly in those courses.

18 hours ago, Megjackson said:

So will schools like ubc that take off the lowest 6 or 12 still only take off 6 or 12? 

Regardless of how many credits you earn in excess of 120, UBC will only drop the lowest 12. Taking more courses does not mean they will drop more.

UVic is a bit more generous. The more credits you earn the more will be dropped. If you're graduating with 129, they'll drop your lowest 24.

• Thanks 1