Transferring to McGill after 1L

Sehnsucht

I am currently in 1L at an Ontario law school, and I am wondering if anyone has any information regarding transferring to McGill?  e.g., how many transfer students they accept versus the number of transfer applications they receive in an average year, how competitive the process is, what kind of applicant criteria might be more or less advantageous

I understand that I would need to re-take contracts, property, and torts due to the program's transsystemic approach, and I would be perfectly happy to do so 🙂

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated!  Merci beaucoup!

Luckylaw1000
  • Applicant

Quoting from a friend who recently completed McGill law, they apparently typically do not allow transfers. The rare cases in which they do would require to restart at the beginning of 1L. I would contact admissions directly to confirm, sorry to be bearer of bad news. 

ccq35
  • Law Student

I don’t think this is true… I know of two current 1L students who transferred and thus are taking a combination of 1L and 2L classes, and at at least one transfer student in my (2L) cohort. I don’t know anything about the process or transferring, unfortunately, but it is definitely possible. 

It is possible to transfer - I would just have to re-take some 1L courses to cover the civil law content, which would probably set me back a year. 

I will certainly contact admissions, but I am looking to hear more about the application process itself from people who have gone through it firsthand (or people who know how the process works).  Thanks for your comments!

tiktok
  • Law Student

it's possible. you will have to retake contracts, torts and property for sure. i don't know anything about the process, but i am guessing it's competitive. 

Edited by tiktok
  • Like 1