Big Law and Baystreet firm

FlamingJohnn51

Hi, OP! I've been reading your posts with interest, kindness, and well wishes, so please take this in that spirit.

An hour ago, you were looking to specialize in social justice. Now you're (already) asking about Bay Street jobs. What gives?

I'm basically the board mascot and don't have any expertise in law or legal job-seeking, but I'm also an old person who's learned from bitter experience that it's better to follow your actual interests than to try to fake it. If you want to be in that 18% of Windsor grads who end up on Bay, that's great. I'm sure people will have good advice. If you don't know what you want to do yet, that's fine too.  But be who you are.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Nom! 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student

It might not be inconsistent. I’m sure corporate lawyers consider regulations preventing the destruction of the planet an injustice to them, and they are part of society. 

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Get high grades in law school. You have a decent shot with grades in the top 20% of your class. Being a social justice lawyer and corporate lawyer are two different career trajectories. Figure this out first. But I suspect you actually just want to do corporate and think that since you only got into Windsor, you're going to have to settle for a social justice job. To be clear, there are a minuscule amount of social justice lawyer jobs out there. When most people say social justice, they just mean working in retail law because even at Windsor, most of the class are not going to land jobs with charities and non-profits and legal aid. 

12 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

I suspect you actually just want to do corporate and think that since you only got into Windsor, you're going to have to settle for a social justice job.

OP, I first jumped in because one thing you probably don't know is how overwhelmingly common this is, to the degree where it's a widely derided cliche. If you go around all, "I just want to help the downtrodden...or, I could get really rich, I mean, if you think that's a good idea, but really I just want to help people, unless...", some people who've heard that a million times are going to roll their eyes and it's going to close doors for you.

2 hours ago, FlamingJohnn51 said:

Anyone from Windsor Law get into a Baystreet firm. How difficult was the process and what did you do to succeed?

Check your PM.

I've deleted a number of inflammatory posts that had no need to be here. I expect we can talk about these kinds of topics without devolving into name calling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1