Chance Me Please: cGPA 3.31; L2 3.8; LSAT 169

mjslava

mjslava
  • Applicant

Main school choices are UVIC, UofC, UofA, UofOttawa, Queen's, Western, & Osgoode. UVIC and UofOttawa are of particular interest to me.

Upward trend on my GPA. First two years 2.8 cGPA, last two years 3.8 cGPA. 4 year break between 2nd and 3rd year. Business owner, strong personal statement and extra curriculars. Older student (30+).

I know the cGPA in on the lower end but I had extenuating circumstances in my first two years. 

Thank you!

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

Looks good for B2/L2 schools (Queen's, UofA). Western, Oz and Ottawa prefer stronger cGPA but I wouldn't count you out especially since you are a mature applicant with reasons for underperformed grades and a killer LSAT. UofC favours WE and yours is very extensive, also a decent shot at it. 

UVic is pretty stats focused. Their admissions are based on an index system

Turtles
  • Law Student

I got into Queen's, Western, Ryerson, Osgoode, UVic, Alberta, among others, with a slightly lower LSAT and comparable cGPA with similar upwards swing. I applied through regular streams, not access. When you need to make up for a lower cGPA, your non-academic successes will become critical, so pay careful attention to drafting your personal statements and be mindful of the strengths of your ECs.  

mjslava
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

Looks good for B2/L2 schools (Queen's, UofA). Western, Oz and Ottawa prefer stronger cGPA but I wouldn't count you out especially since you are a mature applicant with reasons for underperformed grades and a killer LSAT. UofC favours WE and yours is very extensive, also a decent shot at it. 

UVic is pretty stats focused. Their admissions are based on an index system

Thank you for your input. UofC also looks at your L2 primarily, correct? And thanks for linking the index system. With drops, my cGPA for UVIC would be a 3.5. Either way, here’s to hoping.

12 hours ago, Turtles said:

I got into Queen's, Western, Ryerson, Osgoode, UVic, Alberta, among others, with a slightly lower LSAT and comparable cGPA with similar upwards swing. I applied through regular streams, not access. When you need to make up for a lower cGPA, your non-academic successes will become critical, so pay careful attention to drafting your personal statements and be mindful of the strengths of your ECs.  

Thanks for the advice. I feel like I’ve written a stellar PS that includes all of that, so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Do you mind me asking if there were any schools that you applied to that rejected you?

• Like 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, mjslava said:

Thank you for your input. UofC also looks at your L2 primarily, correct? 

Yes, they look at L20.

• 3 weeks later...
mjslava
  • Applicant
On 1/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, LordBONSAI said:

Yes, they look at L20.

I forgot to do the drops for UVIC. That raises my GPA to just over 3.5 for an index score of 913.

In your opinion based on what you’ve seen this cycle, is that competitive enough to ensure a spot? 

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, mjslava said:

I forgot to do the drops for UVIC. That raises my GPA to just over 3.5 for an index score of 913.

In your opinion based on what you’ve seen this cycle, is that competitive enough to ensure a spot? 

Well I think you have a good chance, though that won't guarantee an offer. Historically, 913 was very competitive. 

mjslava
  • Applicant
7 minutes ago, LordBONSAI said:

Well I think you have a good chance, though that won't guarantee an offer. Historically, 913 was very competitive. 

Thank you, Lord.

• LOL 3

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, mjslava said:

Thank you, Lord.

I wish I could answer to the prayers of all LS applicants. lol

• Like 1