Working at two law firms at the same time?

frenchie

frenchie
  • Law Student

I've been offered to work at a pretty big law firm in Atlantic Canada and also been offered a remote fellowship at one of the Bay street firms. When I asked if I would be able to have a job at the same time as the fellowship, I was told that there is no definite yes/no answer and depends on how much work I can take on. 

Would it look bad on my resume "working" at two different law firms over the summer? Or should I stick with one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

45 minutes ago, frenchie said:

I've been offered to work at a pretty big law firm in Atlantic Canada and also been offered a remote fellowship at one of the Bay street firms. When I asked if I would be able to have a job at the same time as the fellowship, I was told that there is no definite yes/no answer and depends on how much work I can take on. 

Would it look bad on my resume "working" at two different law firms over the summer? Or should I stick with one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m assuming you are in 1L? If so, it’s really a matter of preference but keep in mind that the work load will be a substantial amount. Getting used to working in a law firm is one thing but working in 2 is an entire different level of work. While it may look good on a resume that you worked at 2 firms, if you do less-than-average work at both firms it’ll lessen your chances of being hired back the next year and/or you may lose a reference. 

• Like 2

I would pick one. I'm surprised that either firm suggested it would be OK for you to work at the other firm at the same time (e.g., what if you're given a research on a project where the firms are adverse to each other?)

What is the nature of a "fellowship" at a law firm?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Twenty
  • Articling Student

Worked a flexible part-time research job in addition to my 2L summer legal job. I hated it. 

After a day of working/learning in my 2L summer job, I just wanted to "turn off" at the end of the day. Instead, I had research to do for the other job and it was excruciating getting the motivation to complete the work. Ultimately, I realized it was better to focus my energy on my main job, drop out of the part-time gig (whoops, but lesson learned), and enjoy my time off. 

• Like 4

frenchie
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Twenty said:

Worked a flexible part-time research job in addition to my 2L summer legal job. I hated it. 

After a day of working/learning in my 2L summer job, I just wanted to "turn off" at the end of the day. Instead, I had research to do for the other job and it was excruciating getting the motivation to complete the work. Ultimately, I realized it was better to focus my energy on my main job, drop out of the part-time gig (whoops, but lesson learned), and enjoy my time off. 

You're absolutely right, I think I was just getting too ahead of myself/ambitious. I know burn out is very real, thank you very much for your input.

• Like 1