Best Canadian City in Terms of Salary/Cost of Living ratio for Lawyers (especially BigLaw)

CuriousEagle

CuriousEagle
  • Undergrad

What would you all say is the best Canadian city strictly in terms of overall compensation to cost of living ratio for those working as associates in corporate law firms. Is it still Toronto, where living is expensive but salaries are high? Or are cities like Calgary becoming more sensible when considering real estate prices, tax rates, etc? 

Mountebank
  • Lawyer

Probably too many variables to answer in the abstract.

Major city or any old town? Single or with children? Sole breadwinner or multiple income household? Rent or buy? Apartment or house? Boxers or briefs?

WyattDerp
  • Lawyer

Calgary. Salaries are near the same as Toronto and your take home is the same/higher depending on where you are at.

BD opportunities are more limited but you can afford a house. 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 4

I like Montreal. It's a bit sad, stagnant and stuck in the past, but it has some nice stuff and is definitely much more affordable than Toronto. I haven't been to any other Canadian city recently because I've been preoccupied with raising a baby and weathering a pandemic.

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student
24 minutes ago, WyattDerp said:

Calgary. Salaries are near the same as Toronto and your take home is the same/higher depending on where you are at.

BD opportunities are more limited but you can afford a house. 🤷‍♂️.

Calgary tap water tastes bad. Dealbreaker.

Also they cut out the flouride, so it's not great for your teeth or your mental health.

I think they brought the flouride back, but who wants to live in the type of place with a city council that cancels flouride?

Talleyrandophile
  • Lawyer

Fluoride is coming back! Plug for Calgary as well, especially if you like outdoor activities and owning real estate.

• Like 1

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Talleyrandophile said:

owning real estate.

+1

Speaking of which: If anyone wants a lovely 2 bdrm condo in Crossfield for, I dunno, $120 K, drop me a personal message. 🙂

I am very pissed off that I moved from AB to BC in the current housing environment, and may never be able to buy a house again!