Practicing in a New Province

AverageStudent2022

AverageStudent2022
  • Articling Student

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the process for transferring to a new province to practice. Currently I am a 3L student that will be articling in BC. However, I have always thought that I may someday want to practice in Ontario. Does anyone know of a process to transfer? I assumed I would just have to write each province's bar, but I have also heard rumours that there may be an easier way to transfer?

Completely ignorant on the process, so any advice would be appreciated!

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Buddy of mine got called in BC and then took a job in AB a few months later. Definitely no need to go through a bar course or exam. I don't know the details and you should inquire with the relevant Law Society, but my friend summarized it as him just having to sign a declaration that he had familiarized himself with the new jurisdiction's rules, so I think it's safe to say it's not onerous.

• Like 1

You don't need to rewrite the bar exam of each province due to the National Mobility of the Legal Profession Agreement. You have to fill out some forms, get a certificate of standing from your current law society, pay a transfer fee (in BC it's around $1000), wait for the law society to process it (which can take a couple months) and voila. So, not difficult, but takes some time and money. 

https://flsc.ca/national-initiatives/national-mobility-of-the-legal-profession

Caveat, there are some exemptions, including if you have non-practicing status and are transferring to practice in another jurisdiction, if it has been a specified amount of time you may have to rewrite the bar exam in the transferring jurisdiction (this is the case in BC). 

• Thanks 1