Is it worth it to transfer to an Ontario law school on a Letter of Permission basis?

NowOrNever

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

As stated in the title.

Thanks

How could anybody possibly provide useful advice in response to this post? Why do you want to transfer? Which school do you want to transfer to? What school are you currently at? Do you currently have an articling job lined up? If so, what province is it in?

The answers to those questions will shape the advice you get. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

• NowOrNever changed the title to Is it worth it to transfer to an Ontario law school on a Letter of Permission basis?
11 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

How could anybody possibly provide useful advice in response to this post? Why do you want to transfer? Which school do you want to transfer to? What school are you currently at? Do you currently have an articling job lined up? If so, what province is it in?

The answers to those questions will shape the advice you get. 

Thanks BQ!

Why do you want to transfer? - It is better to study in an Ontario school for the final year if I want to work in Ontario, isn't it?

Which school do you want to transfer to? - Any Ontario law school that takes me.

What school are you currently at? - At a BC school.

Do you currently have an articling job lined up? - Not yet.

Edited by NowOrNever

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

At a BC school.

Only TRU students ever write this, and no UBC or UVIC student would be willing to transfer to "any school in Ontario," so you may as well just be explicit.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Nom! 2

9 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Only TRU students ever write this, and no UBC or UVIC student would be willing to transfer to "any school in Ontario," so you may as well just be explicit.

Provide some useful advices, please! 😄

"any school in Ontario" may not include Windsor, Lakehead and Ryerson.

Edited by NowOrNever
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I understand wanting to preserve some anonymity, but this is such a fact specific question that you actually do need to provide details to get meaningful advice. 

Moving from UBC to Lakehead is obviously dumb if you want to do corporate law in Toronto. You would be paying more tuition for a school with worse employment stats. Basically the only reason this move would make sense is if you desperately wanted to work in Thunder Bay (and even then…). 

Moving from TRU to Osgoode is a near no-brainer if you want to work in Toronto, considering the marginal increase in tuition costs and obvious career benefits.

It’s also just honestly disrespectful to waste people’s time by asking for advice while giving such uninformative and blithe responses. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I understand wanting to preserve some anonymity, but this is such a fact specific question that you actually do need to provide details to get meaningful advice. 

Moving from UBC to Lakehead is obviously dumb if you want to do corporate law in Toronto. You would be paying more tuition for a school with worse employment stats. Basically the only reason this move would make sense is if you desperately wanted to work in Thunder Bay (and even then…). 

Moving from TRU to Osgoode is a near no-brainer if you want to work in Toronto, considering the marginal increase in tuition costs and obvious career benefits.

It’s also just honestly disrespectful to waste people’s time by asking for advice while giving such uninformative and blithe responses. 

What about from UVIC to Queen's, Western and Ottawa?

herewegoagain
  • Law Student
23 hours ago, NowOrNever said:

What about from UVIC to Queen's, Western and Ottawa?

I think it would be a good idea. You would be able to start making connections with the firms earlier on, especially if you want to work in Ontario. 

23 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You cannot transfer to Lakehead or Ryerson. 

Edited by herewegoagain
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

I think it would be a good idea. You would be able to start making connections with the firms earlier on, especially if you want to work in Ontario. 

Good point!

Thanks!

herewegoagain
  • Law Student
On 2/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, CleanHands said:

What's the point in this comment? How does it answer the question above in any type of way? Many TRU students have transferred to Osgoode and Western. Maybe he wants Osgoode? This comment provides no value to this thread. And once again, it looks like you're wrong. Seems like he's at Uvic. 

Edited by herewegoagain
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

What's the point in this comment? How does it answer the question above in any type of way? Many TRU students have transferred to Osgoode and Western. Maybe he wants Osgoode? This comment provides no value to this thread. And once again, it looks like you're wrong. Seems like he's at Uvic. 

So says the other "BC law student."

• LOL 2

herewegoagain
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

So says the other "BC law student."

So says the person whose on this site 24/7. One thing I know from working at a big law firm is that successful lawyers don't have time to be on this site 24/7. That's all, good luck with your career though! 

• Nom! 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
25 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

So says the person whose on this site 24/7. One thing I know from working at a big law firm is that successful lawyers don't have time to be on this site 24/7. That's all, good luck with your career though! 

If there's one way to ensure nobody ever gives you helpful advice in the future, it's suggesting any lawyer active here is actually an unsuccessful loser. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Nom! 3

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
36 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

I'm here all the time and I'm probably the most successful big law lawyer that posts regularly on this website.

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Aren't you doing the 1L recruit now? If you mean working in a non-legal capacity at a big law firm prior to going to law school...stay in your lane. There are many lawyers posting on this forum and to imply that they are not successful is frankly rude and disrespectful. I know at least one person here graduated as a medalist in law school and a few others were close to it. Many have done clerkships. And most of the lawyers posting here frequently have top-tier jobs. 

38 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

9 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

If there's one way to ensure nobody ever gives you helpful advice in the future, it's suggesting any lawyer active here is actually an unsuccessful loser. 

That's why the "good luck with your career though!" was so artful.

"Good luck, you unsuccessful losers!"

"Bonne chance, you online deadbeats!" 

"Enjoy the back of the nail salon, you proverbial internet Sauls!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
58 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

it looks like you're wrong. Seems like he's at Uvic. 

It does seem that way, yes. 

• LOL 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Hello people, I hope I didn't open a fighting stadium but a place for advice, please!

What more would you like? If you're deadset on working in Ontario, there may be marginal benefits to moving from a BC school to a good school in Ontario, but plenty of people graduate from, e.g., UBC and make their way to Ontario so it's certainly not necessary. It comes down to your personal preference, life circumstances, financial position, etc. If you planned to transfer to U of T, Osgoode, Western or Queens, the decision is probably fine. Any other school doesn't seem to be adding a ton of value unless you're desperate to be in Ontario.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Hello people, I hope I didn't open a fighting stadium but a place for advice, please!

On 2/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, NowOrNever said:

Why do you want to transfer? - It is better to study in an Ontario school for the final year if I want to work in Ontario, isn't it?

Studying where you want to work has traditionally been an advantage. As other people have said, it offers a greater ability to network with the local bar. But those advantages are not the only factor to consider in school choice. You'd normally want to consider those together with your existing employability, the opportunities you'd be giving up at your existing school, the disruption to your studies, differences in cost, etc. 

It's pretty contextual, and you know your context better than we do. Is there some specific piece of insight you're looking for? It's hard to know what kind of additional advice you're looking for. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

What more would you like? If you're deadset on working in Ontario, there may be marginal benefits to moving from a BC school to a good school in Ontario, but plenty of people graduate from, e.g., UBC and make their way to Ontario so it's certainly not necessary. It comes down to your personal preference, life circumstances, financial position, etc. If you planned to transfer to U of T, Osgoode, Western or Queens, the decision is probably fine. Any other school doesn't seem to be adding a ton of value unless you're desperate to be in Ontario.

5 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Studying where you want to work has traditionally been an advantage. As other people have said, it offers a greater ability to network with the local bar. But those advantages are not the only factor to consider in school choice. You'd normally want to consider those together with your existing employability, the opportunities you'd be giving up at your existing school, the disruption to your studies, differences in cost, etc. 

It's pretty contextual, and you know your context better than we do. Is there some specific piece of insight you're looking for? It's hard to know what kind of additional advice you're looking for. 

Thanks! Appreciated! 

I just want to know if it is easier to find a job in Ontario if I study in Ontario for my final year.

Edited by NowOrNever

GGrievous
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

I just want to know if it is easier to find a job in Ontario if I study in Ontario for my final year.

What kind of job are you looking for? What city in Ontario? What are your grades like? Do you have family obligations? Are you financially secure enough for the move? Have you tried to network remotely at all? What do you mean by easier? Do you really think this question has a blanket yes or no answer? 

Edited by Barry

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, herewegoagain said:

I don't what else to take away from this but that you think only unsuccessful lawyers are active on this site, which begs the question why you would be here looking for advice at all?

I don't know in what capacity you worked a big law firm, but in all of the infinite wisdom you picked up, you seem to have missed that many successful lawyers are actively invested in the development of law students and future lawyers, which is why we spend time on here. 

• Like 2

Renerik
  • Law Student

I was hoping another angsty *law student would crawl under CH or BQ's skin and start something, but I guess if you're satisfied...

Update: Disregard folks, thread's open.
image.png.52de6eca8432db5203d3c80bf7a5a1f5.png

• LOL 3