Is it worth it to transfer to an Ontario law school on a Letter of Permission basis?

NowOrNever

29 minutes ago, Renerik said:

I was hoping another angsty *law student would crawl under CH or BQ's skin and start something, but I guess if you're satisfied...

Update: Disregard folks, thread's open.
image.png.52de6eca8432db5203d3c80bf7a5a1f5.png

Thanks Renerik!

Free speech, let people talk.😄

• Hugs 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
41 minutes ago, Renerik said:

I was hoping another angsty *law student would crawl under CH or BQ's skin and start something, but I guess if you're satisfied...

Update: Disregard folks, thread's open.
image.png.52de6eca8432db5203d3c80bf7a5a1f5.png

Seriously. What's with all the hate towards lawyers on this forum? Do applicants and law students not want to hear from lawyers? Because that is a big part of the legal profession you are excluding. The person who made that comment earlier is a 1L who got their 1L OCI results today. It is understandable that they may be feeling negative emotions that are causing them to lash out at the lawyers. But what they should be doing is asking them how they can succeed in future application/interview processes and about their career paths. It's a bit rich for people not in law school and law students to call lawyers unsuccessful, when by definition one has already succeeded by going through all the hoops to be a lawyer in this country. 

Big Pecker
  • Lawyer

I haven't been as active on this site as the previous one, but I'd just like to chime in and say that the info and advice I have received from lawyers on the previous forum has been invaluable. 

While I understand that at times conversations on this site can be a bit "blunt" and people may perceive some users as abrasive, we should all recognize that many of the lawyers who contribute to this forum could just choose not to. Bickering aside there are a lot of great people here that contribute for no other reason that just wanting to help out. My experiences in law thus far has illustrated the importance of paying it forward and the incredibly important role mentorship plays in this profession. 

Does that mean that I agree with everything written by some of the users here? No. But to suggest that lawyers who are active on this site are losers is asinine. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

Do applicants and law students not want to hear from lawyers?

I, for one, only take advice from those who are too cool to give me advice. 

m c escher falling GIF

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

GGrievous
  • Law Student
26 minutes ago, Big Pecker said:

But to suggest that lawyers who are active on this site are losers is asinine. 

I would need to know what non-member lawyers are up to on a Friday night to make such a claim. 

• LOL 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, Barry said:

I would need to know what non-member lawyers are up to on a Friday night to make such a claim. 

Hey, I'm only here because for god-knows-what-reason my client agreed to exchange written opening submissions for an international arbitration on a Saturday. Otherwise I'd be at the pub by now. 

• Hugs 1

cherrytree
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Big Pecker said:

Bickering aside there are a lot of great people here that contribute for no other reason that just wanting to help out.

Speaking from personal experience and threads that I've seen on the old forum, many lawyers who check the board regularly (whether they post frequently or not) are here for the community and genuinely want to help, especially in terms of jobs and careers. Some of them might even reach out proactively with really good opportunities and resources, even if you haven't ask for their help specifically. I remember on the old board, a user made a post asking for advice about securing articles, they spoke candidly about the struggles they had during law school which set them back in recruits and job searches, and I think it was only after 1-2 days that they came back to the thread to report that a lawyer reached out to them privately with a solid lead or job offer (I can't recall exactly). It was incredible to see the outpouring of support and well wishes for the user, not only manifesting in the number of likes and kind replies to their thread, but also concrete actions behind the scenes by good Samaritans who remain anonymous.

Since OP asked the mods to re-open this thread to continue the discussion, I want to remind any applicants or law students who intend to use this board and reap its benefits for the long term that you can't treat this place exactly like Reddit or Twitter, despite posting under a pseudonym. If you are a repeat, long-term user of the board, chances are your identity will become semi-anonymous over time. It never hurts to think twice before you react to a response directed at you, and think better of posting anything that can come across as lashing out for the heck of it. The attitude conveyed through your writing on the board can either attract some really nice and unexpected help or opportunities, or really turn people off from offering you help even when they are equipped to do so.

• Like 8