Queens and Mental Health

NoName

NoName
  • Applicant

I was recently accepted to Queens and am beyond excited since it’s one of my top choices!

But I also deal with mental illnesses that go through pretty severe ups and downs, and have definitely caused me to struggle in academics before. I was wondering if anyone who currently attend Queens has any insight on their mental health services and accommodations that are made for students? 

I’ve looked at their website and it seems to be good, but I also have found some universities stretch the truth about their mental health services lol. I find it’s always best to ask for first hand accounts.

(Note; I have documents to prove everything and that consider me disabled) 

• Hugs 2

jurisdoctoring
  • Law School Admit

Hi! I went to Queen's for undergrad. I had a poor experience with mental health services mostly because I didn't have a diagnosis when I arrived. If you already have documentation, you shouldn't have as much trouble. Once I got that things were much smoother. However, as with most uni mental health services the counsellors are overworked so I would recommend that if you don't already have a support team you should find external services in the Kingston area. Do not rely on the uni counsellors to get you through. 

• Hugs 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 2/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, jurisdoctoring said:

Hi! I went to Queen's for undergrad. I had a poor experience with mental health services mostly because I didn't have a diagnosis when I arrived. If you already have documentation, you shouldn't have as much trouble. Once I got that things were much smoother. However, as with most uni mental health services the counsellors are overworked so I would recommend that if you don't already have a support team you should find external services in the Kingston area. Do not rely on the uni counsellors to get you through. 

The law school mental health services are MUCH more robust than undergrad. They are extremely helpful. It seems like everyone I know has some sort of accommodation, and exam deferrals for mental health reasons are given out pretty liberally. Queens law gets an A+ in my books when it comes to accommodating mental health issues. 

• Like 1

jurisdoctoring
  • Law School Admit
On 2/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, QueensDenning said:

The law school mental health services are MUCH more robust than undergrad. They are extremely helpful. It seems like everyone I know has some sort of accommodation, and exam deferrals for mental health reasons are given out pretty liberally. Queens law gets an A+ in my books when it comes to accommodating mental health issues. 

That's really good to hear. Undergrad is a struggle for so many but I'm glad that law students are better supported. I was reluctant to return for law but this makes me think twice.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, jurisdoctoring said:

That's really good to hear. Undergrad is a struggle for so many but I'm glad that law students are better supported. I was reluctant to return for law but this makes me think twice.

Yeah, I was here in undergrad too. I head a lot of horror stories, but luckily was not someone who needed any of the services in undergrad. Law school has been a lot tougher on me - mental health wise. Every time I needed something, the administration has been totally supportive and always there for me. I think the difference is that there are so many less students in the law school compared with the undergrads, and they've really focused on providing great support systems in the administration. 

Edit to add: I know a lot of people (myself included) who have not been diagnosed with anything, and that has not been an issue for me in terms of being accommodated when it was needed. 

Edited by QueensDenning

NoName
  • Applicant
On 2/11/2022 at 5:06 PM, QueensDenning said:

On 2/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, jurisdoctoring said:

Just wanted to say thank you both! Hearing both the good and bad helped me gain a better picture of their services and I’m glad to hear the law students have good support! 
It’s pretty much helped me decide to accept my offer since this is a huge factor for me and was the only thing I was unsure of. Thank you both! 

• 2 weeks later...
WhatsATort
  • Law Student

First off congrats, you're going to have a great time at QL 🙂 Can confirm that the graduate mental health services are incredible! Accommodations are readily available, and I suggest reaching out to Helen for tips on navigating the process. The insurance we are provided with covers 100% of services provided by mental health professionals up to $500, and a bursary was provided for anyone who went over that allotted coverage. There are also student clubs dedicated to helping students with disabilities and/or mental health issues.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

• 4 weeks later...
JamesW
  • Lawyer

Congratulations, you are really getting help there! My advice, before you go there, get your diagnosis and get all the documentation you need, otherwise, you'll be tortured. Also, if you have problems you are sitting on some chemical medications, try to find an alternative for yourself and look at natural options for depression treatment. If you have any problems, contact the administration - they are always supportive and understanding, you can count on them. And in general, do not be afraid of anything cuz you know yourself better than anyone else. Good luck!

AndrewStennisrGUY
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, JamesW said:

Congratulations, you are really getting help there! My advice, before you go there, get your diagnosis and get all the documentation you need, otherwise, you'll be tortured. Also, if you have problems you are sitting on some chemical medications, try to find an alternative for yourself and look at natural options for depression treatment. If you have any problems, contact the administration - they are always supportive and understanding, you can count on them. And in general, do not be afraid of anything cuz you know yourself better than anyone else. Good luck!

Depression is probably the most terrible thing that exists.