Criminal Defence Lawyer/Associate Salary in Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland

CrimLawAspirant

CrimLawAspirant
  • Law Student

Hi all, 

I am curious to know how much one can expect to earn per year as a first year associate in criminal defence (i.e., right after articling) in Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland. I have been getting varying responses so far, thus hoping to get more insight from experienced practitioners or recent calls in the forum.

Feel free to DM me as well. Thanks! 

Judgelight
  • Lawyer

Take this with a grain of salt, but my friend (who ultimately joined a national firm) said he received offers lower than I was getting at the time, when I was in Toronto. I was given 2 offers - 65k and 70k. That was 2-3 years ago.

• Like 1

N. Mink
  • Lawyer

The vast majority of criminal defence lawyers in the LM are going to be self-employed (often in association with a law firm, but not a salaried employee). 

This is an entrepreneurial area of law. Your business development skills are going to make a much bigger contribution to what you earn than anything else, imo. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, N. Mink said:

The vast majority of criminal defence lawyers in the LM are going to be self-employed (often in association with a law firm, but not a salaried employee). 

This is an entrepreneurial area of law. Your business development skills are going to make a much bigger contribution to what you earn than anything else, imo. 

Couldn't resist. 

• Like 3