Chances? cgpa: 2.86 L2: 3.0

lawschoolapplicant

lawschoolapplicant
  • Applicant

Applied to usask, u of a, Manitoba, Windsor, ryerson, uvic, unb 

LSAT: 168

Splitter case… any chances at all? had some medical issues so applied access. 

Which schools weigh LSAT over GPA? 

Boozey
  • Law Student

You have a chance at Windsor, and maybe at Ryerson (but it's hard to tell with that, because they don't publish LSAT/GPA stats). Unsure about the others.

13 hours ago, lawschoolapplicant said:

No Canadian law schools weigh LSAT over GPA now.

Calculate your AGPA for Manitoba and GPA after drops for UNB to see if you have a shot there.

• Like 1

allrise97
  • Applicant
On 2/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, lawschoolapplicant said:

I've read all of your threads/chance posts and am just curious why you seem reluctant to be realistic about your chances in admission to law school for this cycle. Your chances are very low and you should really strongly consider improving your GPA or consider going overseas or the U.S.. I am not trying to be harsh but you seem to be ignoring most peoples comments and only looking for reassurance when there is none. Getting into law school is not a walk in the park and you ignoring comments about GPA and thinking that the admissions committees will take your LSAT higher or other activities is going to hurt you in the long run. You must know that your chances are slim to none.  

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
On 2/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, lawschoolapplicant said:

I got accepted into UManitoba on Feb 14 with:

LSAT: 169

cGPA: 2.82 (OLSAS calculated)

L17: 3.81

L22: 3.3 

I have no idea what my UManitoba AGPA is, but they do drop 30 credits if you've completed 114 credits or more and that likely helped me a lot given that I had several F's and D's. I applied in the Individual Consideration category, but got accepted on the first wave of offers. Hope this helps, and good luck! 

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

@allrise97

I think you're being overly negative here. Yes, the GPA is problematic, but the poster's strong LSAT score coupled with a good statement and a well documented access claim could definitely get them a spot somewhere in Canada. If they have no luck this cycle and the next, maybe its time to think of going back to school or overseas, but you shouldn't be ready to advocate for that yet given the very real costs of such moves.  

• Like 3

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, villiuski said:

@allrise97

I think you're being overly negative here. Yes, the GPA is problematic, but the poster's strong LSAT score coupled with a good statement and a well documented access claim could definitely get them a spot somewhere in Canada. If they have no luck this cycle and the next, maybe its time to think of going back to school or overseas, but you shouldn't be ready to advocate for that yet given the very real costs of such moves.  

I'm with @villiuski

allrise97
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, villiuski said:

@allrise97

I think you are not being realistic enough. students do not get accepted with GPAs around a 3.0 and under. The OP should not be coddled and should be given accurate information on where they stand and how they can improve all of the posts saying "there's a chance" and "there's hope" do not really provide help when it is clear the chances are as said stated slim to none. I am not trying to discourage the OP but wouldn't you rather have someone openly say this is not enough and I encourage you to either improve to seek alternatives versus false hope? wasting money on an application which is significantly lacking in one of the two defining factors of admissions. I wish someone was more honest with me the first time I applied it would have saved me a lot of time and money applying so I could have improved myself more versus shooting blindly. 

Edited by allrise97

3 minutes ago, allrise97 said:

I think you are not being realistic enough. students do not get accepted with GPAs around a 3.0 and under. The OP should not be coddled and should be given accurate information on where they stand and how they can improve all of the posts saying "there's a chance" and "there's hope" do not really provide help when it is clear the chances are as said stated slim to none. I am not trying to discourage the OP but wouldn't you rather have someone openly say this is not enough and I encourage you to either improve to seek alternatives versus false hope? wasting money on an application which is significantly lacking in one of the two defining factors of admissions. I wish someone was more honest with me the first time I applied it would have saved me a lot of time and money applying so I could have improved myself more versus shooting blindly. 

There is someone in Osgoode acceptances with 2.83 and 165...

So it does happen.

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
20 minutes ago, allrise97 said:

I think you're not considering the fact that OP, for the most part, applied to the least competitive law schools in Canada with an access claim on medical grounds. The schools they applied to accept people with low 3.0 and sub 3.0 GPAs. OP also has an LSAT score in the 95th percentile. Their best 2/last 2 years GPA may also be better. I have seen people with worse stats than the OP apply in the general category and get in. They are of course exceptions to the rule, but if OP has a valid explanation for their low GPA which it seems they do, then some adcom members will prioritize the rest of the application over their GPA. So it is not just false hope being given to the OP. Law school admissions has increasingly become more holistic and if we assess OP's application holistically, then they have a chance at getting in somewhere with a strong LSAT score and a good application. 

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

@allrise97

If you scroll past acceptance threads for the schools that the poster is applying to, you will find accepted applicants with sub 3.0 GPAs and LSAT scores lower than 168. I understand that you were not accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA, but that does not mean that it is impossible. Furthermore, while applications cost money and time, attending a crappy foreign school or starting a new undergrad are both options that will be far more costly.

• Like 1

Electricity
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, allrise97 said:

Your chances are very low and you should really strongly consider improving your GPA or consider going overseas or the U.S..

Don't go to a foreign school if your intention is to practice in Canada. There may be a few exceptions to this rule but they're extraordinarily narrow. 

To echo @villiuski, I think you've got a decent shot at a few of the schools you've listed, though I don't think you've got any real chance of getting into UVic. My understanding is that having an excellent LSAT score like yours does quite a bit to substantiate access claims. 

• Like 2

allrise97
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, villiuski said:

@allrise97

If you scroll past acceptance threads for the schools that the poster is applying to, you will find accepted applicants with sub 3.0 GPAs and LSAT scores lower than 168. I understand that you were not accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA, but that does not mean that it is impossible. Furthermore, while applications cost money and time, attending a crappy foreign school or starting a new undergrad are both options that will be far more costly.

I am not saying that, I applied with a 4.0 gpa and a 157 and got rejected from every school in Canada. Additionally, I wrote in my PS I have lupus which impacted my health and not only that I am a black applicant. I also have worked directly in investment banking law for several years and have been a volunteer for Canadian blood services for the past five years. The chances are there but they are low and I am by no means trying to discourage the OP but wouldn't it be nice to have a realistic outlook there is a lot of positivity in this thread which does not necessarily lead to a clear lens? You can tell the OP as much optimism as you would like but you should also be real with them. 

4 hours ago, qsizzle said:

So it does happen.

that post says cGPA ask them there last two? also most of the schools the op wrote uofa/york/sask take the last two even though im sure the cGPA is relevant I have yet to see an accepted L2 of 3.0 or under.  

I want the OP to succeed, I hope they get in and I hope they are able to accomplish what they desire and that I am wrong. I am not trying to be a Debby downer but I would rather be told prior before wasting hundreds of dollars on multiple applications vs taking the time to improve my situation. 

Edited by allrise97

WiseGhost
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, allrise97 said:

I am not saying that, I applied with a 4.0 gpa and a 157 and got rejected from every school in Canada. Additionally, I wrote in my PS I have lupus which impacted my health and not only that I am a black applicant. I also have worked directly in investment banking law for several years and have been a volunteer for Canadian blood services for the past five years. 

I'm sorry to hear that and quite surprised. Canadians law schools regularly accept candidates with lower grades and LSAT scores. The only explanation that I can think of is that your PS might have been weak, but even then... I would be flabberghasted if that happened to you in another cycle. 

As for being honest with the OP, I think you are overestimating how helpful it is to tell them that they have no chance when they have already submitted applications, especially when they actually do have a chance. With those stats its a crap shoot, but combined with a strong PS and access claim, I see them getting acceptances. 

allrise97
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, villiuski said:

I'm sorry to hear that and quite surprised. Canadians law schools regularly accept candidates with lower grades and LSAT scores. The only explanation that I can think of is that your PS might have been weak, but even then... I would be flabberghasted if that happened to you in another cycle. 

As for being honest with the OP, I think you are overestimating how helpful it is to tell them that they have no chance when they have already submitted applications, especially when they actually do have a chance. With those stats its a crap shoot, but combined with a strong PS and access claim, I see them getting acceptances. 

I appreciate that, I do not take it personal and I am genuinely not upset by any means with not getting accepted last cycle. I already rewrote the lsat and scored a 166 so I am not concerned but thank you for your kind words. 

We can agree to disagree, but I don't think that I am. I have read every board multiple times for the last two years as I truly have applied to every law school in 2020 and 2021 and have yet to see a L2: 3.0 or lower and I do obsessively look to make sure I am a competitive applicant. I am not trying to discourage or discredit the OP with their LSAT score or their successive factors outside of their GPA, but for majority of schools it is either half and half or a higher waited GPA. It is a crap shoot as you just said, so why not tell the OP that directly and tell them how to improve vs saying there's a good chance? and using a veil of ignorance. Maybe my statements came across as harsh but I honestly would have preferred this talk for myself when I first applied so I could have saved my time on the anxiety of waiting for an acceptance and improving what was in my control. 

The OP has written this exact post in multiple threads. They are clearly anxious and nervous and constantly telling them they have a chance and to have faith is not a realistic outlook / imo unfair for them. 

Edited by allrise97

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
56 minutes ago, allrise97 said:

I am not saying that, I applied with a 4.0 gpa and a 157 and got rejected from every school in Canada. Additionally, I wrote in my PS I have lupus which impacted my health and not only that I am a black applicant. I also have worked directly in investment banking law for several years and have been a volunteer for Canadian blood services for the past five years. The chances are there but they are low and I am by no means trying to discourage the OP but wouldn't it be nice to have a realistic outlook there is a lot of positivity in this thread which does not necessarily lead to a clear lens? You can tell the OP as much optimism as you would like but you should also be real with them. 

You just have bad luck then. A 4.0 CGPA and 157 should have gotten you admission into a few schools, at least, unless admissions has changed so drastically over the last few years.  Did you apply broadly? By every school in Canada, do you mean you applied to literally every school in Canada and got rejected, or every school you did apply to rejected you? I know people personally that got accepted to Western and Queens with a similar LSAT and lower GPA last cycle, which was apparently one of the most competitive in a long while. Those stats should get you into schools like Manitoba and Alberta, and give you a good shot at L2 schools like Western, Queens, and Dal. I'm sure your application would get looks at Windsor under a holistic assessment and Osgoode, even with your lower LSAT. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough go, hopefully it's better next time around. 

And what is investment banking law? Curious. As someone very familiar with the investment banking space, this is new to me. 

Edited by PulpFiction
  • Like 1

allrise97
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, PulpFiction said:

You just have bad luck then. A 4.0 CGPA and 157 should have gotten you admission into a few schools, at least, unless admissions has changed so drastically over the last few years.  Did you apply broadly? By every school in Canada, do you mean you applied to literally every school in Canada and got rejected, or every school you did apply to rejected you? I know people personally that got accepted to Western and Queens with a similar LSAT and lower GPA last cycle, which was apparently one of the most competitive in a long while. Those stats should get you into schools like Manitoba and Alberta, and give you a good shot at L2 schools like Western, Queens, and Dal. I'm sure your application would get looks at Windsor under a holistic assessment and Osgoode, even with your lower LSAT. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough go, hopefully it's better next time around. 

And what is investment banking law? Curious. As someone very familiar with the investment banking space, this is new to me. 

Yes I applied to every single school in Canada 2021 4.0/157 and in 2020 3.6/155 (except UofT because I knew that would be a waste of $100). I work in due diligence for an investment bank in the maritimes, I work in risk analytics including reviewing and vetting agreements, reviewing loan agreements, shareholder agreements, preference share agreements and security agreements. Drafting and reviewing targets, advising clients as to whether or not their investments are up to par with their regulatory framework we actually have reported a few fund managers to the CFA institute for lying about their credentials which has been pretty interesting. 

I appreciate that, I am hopeful to get into Dal this year, again I am not trying to discredit the OP on their accomplishments nor compare them to my own. I hope they succeed even if I do not but I am stating what I have learned from reading this board through and through for the last two years. I genuinely wish someone told me to work on my GPA and LSAT earlier all I ever got was words of encouragement and hope and I should have been more realistic in my first two cycles on where I stood. 

Edited by allrise97

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, allrise97 said:

Yes I applied to every single school in Canada 2021 4.0/157 and in 2020 3.6/155. I work in due diligence for an investment bank in the maritimes, I work in risk analytics including reviewing and vetting agreements, reviewing loan agreements, shareholder agreements, preference share agreements and security agreements. Drafting and reviewing targets, advising clients as to whether or not their investments are up to par with their regulatory framework we actually have reported a few fund managers to the CFA institute for lying about their credentials which has been pretty interesting. 

That's brutal. Well, scrolling up a bit, I see you scored a 166 on your most recent sitting, so looks like you'll be getting several acceptances the next cycle you apply in. Best of luck 

• Like 1

allrise97
  • Applicant
Just now, PulpFiction said:

That's brutal. Well, scrolling up a bit, I see you scored a 166 on your most recent sitting, so looks like you'll be getting several acceptances the next cycle you apply in. Best of luck 

Thanks ! it's been quite a journey haha so I am hoping for the best. 

• Like 2

allrise97
  • Applicant
20 hours ago, qsizzle said:

So it does happen.

go back to that post, the same user commented his last 2 was a 3.6/7 for the record..... 

Edited by allrise97
  • Thanks 1

allrise97
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

Fair enough. But in your post you never said L2. You just said gpa. That's why I mentioned it.

I meant L2 since the schools the OP mentioned they applied to mostly look at your last 20/L2. I have a pretty terrible cGPA also its a 2.87 and I don't think that stops someone but if my L2 was the same I would be concerned. 

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
On 2/22/2022 at 7:14 PM, allrise97 said:

I think you are not being realistic enough. students do not get accepted with GPAs around a 3.0 and under. 

That is untrue, depending on the entry scheme. 

I was accepted to Ottawa a few days ago with 2.91 cGPA and 158 as a mature student.  

If you said that General applicants don't normally get accepted with GPAs less than 3.0, then maybe.  But even then I'm not sure.

mj1995
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, dimsum1 said:

That is untrue, depending on the entry scheme. 

I was accepted to Ottawa a few days ago with 2.91 cGPA and 158 as a mature student.  

If you said that General applicants don't normally get accepted with GPAs less than 3.0, then maybe.  But even then I'm not sure.

I did mean general yes. Was your L2 the same when you applied?