Chances? cgpa: 2.86 L2: 3.0

lawschoolapplicant

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
18 minutes ago, mj1995 said:

I did mean general yes. Was your L2 the same when you applied?

It was around 3.0

But yes, it seems like General acceptances generally have a higher GPA.

mj1995
  • Applicant
53 minutes ago, dimsum1 said:

It was around 3.0

But yes, it seems like General acceptances generally have a higher GPA.

I think your case is under special circumstances you have a great historical background of as you stated 20+ years. You may be the exception but many of us are not. 

Edited by mj1995

mj1995
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, dimsum1 said:

That is untrue, depending on the entry scheme. 

I was accepted to Ottawa a few days ago with 2.91 cGPA and 158 as a mature student.  

If you said that General applicants don't normally get accepted with GPAs less than 3.0, then maybe.  But even then I'm not sure.

This is not untrue you picked one of the few entry schemes that uses a cGPA vs L2 to base your argument on? i think you are taking my statements to the OP as a direct hit towards you and your position / where you stand. OP didn't even mention uOttawa they mentioned UofA (L2), USask (B2), Manitoba (AGPA), Ryerson (Best 20 classes). uVic and UNB use cGPA and if you look at UNB they literally have a minimum and it says on the website it is not competitive (cGPA 2.7). The OP is not far from the min no offence OP.   

https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/law/admissions/first-year/admissions-requirements.html 

I applaud your acceptance and I have no doubt that under special circumstances it may work out but wouldn't an applicant be in a better position if they were able to position themselves better vs hoping to gain admission under special circumstances? I am telling the OP what I have seen to be true for general applicants not for the rare applications. Many law schools in Canada have a minimum GPA requirement, this is a fact. 

You even wrote here in a separate thread that L2 matters so I am not sure where your opinion actually stands do you want to tell the OP it matters or that it doesn't? 

I wish you the best OP and I hope you succeed and that you make it. My intentions are not to harm you but just to provide a realistic perspective. 

Edited by mj1995

• 2 weeks later...
Renegade
  • Applicant
On 2/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, Electricity said:

Don't go to a foreign school if your intention is to practice in Canada. There may be a few exceptions to this rule but they're extraordinarily narrow. 

To echo @villiuski, I think you've got a decent shot at a few of the schools you've listed, though I don't think you've got any real chance of getting into UVic. My understanding is that having an excellent LSAT score like yours does quite a bit to substantiate access claims. 

Are you absolutely sure about this? This is not what I have heard from practicing lawyers.  If you have connections, you can practice in Canada after studying overseas.  

Electricity
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Metallica said:

Are you absolutely sure about this? This is not what I have heard from practicing lawyers.  If you have connections, you can practice in Canada after studying overseas.  

Yeah, if you a) absolutely must go to law school but b) have no chance of being admitted anywhere in Canada right now and c) have a close connection who’s basically guaranteed to hire you once you graduate, this might be the exception I was talking about. But even then, I would just work on improving your stats so you can reapply in Canada. The tuition for foreign schools is usually very high, and apparently getting through the NCAs is an involved process. 

I’ve also heard there’s a stigma attached to foreign degrees. Keep in mind, I’m only a student myself and don’t have firsthand knowledge about this, but more experienced lawyers on this forum make this point ad nauseam. The lower tier schools in Canada, which are solid and perfectly reputable schools, are within OP’s reach. Even if we assume they have connections, why go through the trouble of studying overseas?

Edited by Electricity
  • Like 1