Moving from public law to private sector

sunshinecoast

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student

Do many public/government lawyers transition to private practice? Are there any areas of public law that lend themselves well for transitioning to private law?

I am interested in both, but I am worried that if I article in public law, I will have a hard time switching over to private law if I am unhappy and vice versa. Thank you in advance for the help!

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, sunshinecoast said:

Do many public/government lawyers transition to private practice? Are there any areas of public law that lend themselves well for transitioning to private law?

I am interested in both, but I am worried that if I article in public law, I will have a hard time switching over to private law if I am unhappy and vice versa. Thank you in advance for the help!

Most of the people I know that articled with the MAG in Ontario were not hired back after articling. I heard that hireback is low with them. Most of these people work in the private sector after. I think you're approaching this all wrong. What area/s of law are you specifically going into the public sector to do? Because almost all of them will be directly transferable to the private sector. Criminal, labour and employment, family, corporate, tax, securities, etc. are practiced in both the private and public sectors. Going from public sector to Big law can be difficult depending on the experience you have, but going from public sector to small firm, mid-sized firm, boutique, or starting your own practice is commonly done by many people. 

I'd argue that the opposite is true. It's harder to go from private sector to public sector due to there being fewer opportunities, than it is to go from public sector to the private sector. 

Edited by Pendragon