Any reason to NOT do a clinical placement?

undertheletter

undertheletter
  • Law Student

Basically title. I hear great things about clinical placements but was wondering if there are any downsides, disadvantages or things that have (or might) catch you off guard relating to the clinical experience. If it's relevant, I'm at Osgoode and am looking at the business-related clinics...

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Is this for the clinical intensive or just clinic participation? Because you're paying 25k in tuition at Osgoode for these opportunities. If you didn't do the clinic, what would you do with your spare time instead? It would be helpful if you told us what your alternative options were. 

undertheletter
  • Law Student
21 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

Is this for the clinical intensive or just clinic participation? Because you're paying 25k in tuition at Osgoode for these opportunities. If you didn't do the clinic, what would you do with your spare time instead? It would be helpful if you told us what your alternative options were. 

It's the intensive during 2L. You're right and I'm probably overthinking it. I guess I was looking to feel out students' experiences in clinics in general...

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, undertheletter said:

It's the intensive during 2L. You're right and I'm probably overthinking it. I guess I was looking to feel out students' experiences in clinics in general...

I've heard the business clinics aren't that useful compared to the other clinics which are focused on retail law and public interest areas. If you know anyone who has done the business clinics, I'd talk to them about their experiences. I hear the Davies workshops are a good experience though. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, undertheletter said:

Basically title. I hear great things about clinical placements but was wondering if there are any downsides, disadvantages or things that have (or might) catch you off guard relating to the clinical experience. If it's relevant, I'm at Osgoode and am looking at the business-related clinics...

One aspect that has been flagged to me is that there is value in doing the core business courses (e.g., biz associations, securities, tax, etc), and so if you fill up on clinics while also satisfying the mandatory upper year requirements, you might run out of room to take everything you want. This is a bigger issue for JD/MBAs since we only take 45 upper year credits. You might want to start looking into courses so you can get a sense of your priorities.

I've heard good things about ABLW I and II though.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

The Osgoode Business Clinic is a waste of time (as, in my opinion, are all business clinics). But 90% of law school is a waste of time, particularly if you're going into big law. And the amount of time that it wastes is mitigated by the fact you will barely do any work on it and the fact it satisfies your OPIR, somehow. 

Does Brad still teach the Case Studies in Business Enterprises course? If so, the OBC is worth doing solely because that course was the most useful business-related course I took in law school. Brad runs its as a survey course with discussions about the various forms of business enterprises, purchase and sale of a business, taxes, and insolvency-related issues. You would be just fine entering a job as a corporate lawyer with that course and nothing else. 

I would third the recommendation for the ABLWs, as well, and add that the Bennet Jones' Advanced Commercial Litigation course is worth pursuing if you have any interest in commercial lit.