Transfer to UWO or Queen's

beepbooplawschool

beepbooplawschool
  • Law Student

Hi,

Hoping to connect with anyone who has successfully transferred to Western or Queen's Law. Preferably from a UK law school, but any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

mj1995
  • Applicant

I don't think Western takes law students outside of Canada typically they wrote on their website "Students who have successfully completed part or all of their legal education outside Canada may be considered for admission with advanced standing"

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/upper_year_applications.html

Queens Law says similar

https://law.queensu.ca/admissions/jd/admissions-process/upper-years

Typically priority is given to students from Canadian law schools. It might be a bit of a battle/depend on availability.  

You should also check on LSAT requirements - on Western is says even if you transfer it is a requirement. 

Edited by mj1995

Snax
  • Lawyer

I can only speak to Western, but there are few transfers in general and I’ve never heard of anyone transferring in from a UK school. It may or may not be possible, but definitely don’t make any plans thinking that transferring would be likely. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I can speak to Queen's, I actually know quite a few transfer students here. They all had good/very good 1L grades from Canadian law schools (TRU, Lakehead) 

mj1995
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I can speak to Queen's, I actually know quite a few transfer students here. They all had good/very good 1L grades from Canadian law schools (TRU, Lakehead) 

but OP is asking about a UK school...

OP what school do you currently go to? Did you check to see if the curriculum matches up for both schools for 1L and do you have an LSAT score?

Edited by mj1995

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
7 hours ago, mj1995 said:

but OP is asking about a UK school...

Yes. The fact that no one as of yet on this forum from Queen's or Western knows a transfer student from a UK school suggests it's probably not a common occurrence. 

QMT20
  • Lawyer

There was someone in my year at Queen's who transferred from a US law school ranked outside the T-100. Not impossible to transfer from an international school but definitely not a common occurrence. All of the other transfer students I knew over the course of 3-years at Queen's came from Winsor, TRU and Ottawa. 

• 1 month later...
beyondsection17
  • Lawyer

When I was at Western, all the transfer students I remember seeing came from Windsor.