Discussion re: Law Firms response to Russia Invasion

Cool_name

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, SlytherinLLP said:

Now do China next. 

Do you ever tire of whataboutism? Is it really the case that in your mind unlawfully invading a neighbouring country doesn't change the circumstances? Firms had no trouble handling Russian transactions before February 24, 2022 so I don't even see the alleged hypocrisy.

epeeist
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Pantalaimon said:

Do you ever tire of whataboutism? Is it really the case that in your mind unlawfully invading a neighbouring country doesn't change the circumstances? Firms had no trouble handling Russian transactions before February 24, 2022 so I don't even see the alleged hypocrisy.

I don't think this is whataboutism, it's not saying it's wrong to exit Russia because not exiting China, nor justifying Russia's actions because of China, it's saying, glad you're exiting Russia, now you should also exit China.

But I'm not @SlytherinLLP so maybe misunderstanding the point.

Invading another country and killing civilians and committing war crimes as Russia has done of course is different; but is it morally worse than e.g. genocide over a domestic population like the Uyghurs?

Russian oil and natural gas are still "needed", so they're still being bought from Russia (not that pipelines get built quickly, but hmm, wouldn't it be morally better and no worse environmentally since someone will be producing it, for Canada to be selling it than Russia?). At least the Europe and US are "discussing" and "exploring" the possibility of not continuing to buy Russian oil and gas, he said cynically...

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-europeans-discussing-banning-russian-oil-imports-blinken-says-2022-03-06/

As a thought exercise, if China invaded Taiwan (aka "Chinese Taipei") would the economic entanglement with China mean few or no real sanctions, because principles matter until you can't get a new iPhone? Just like they matter with Russia except when countries need their oil and gas?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer
21 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that was whataboutism, it was more like, Amazing, I'm glad to see one dictatorship get deprived of economic oxygen, now let's get the ball rolling and do the other major authoritarian regime responsible for flagrant and widespread human rights abuses.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
bebebebebe
  • Lawyer

What do y'all think of BLG's way of handling this? Just over a week after the war started, with the bodies barely cold yet, they started slinging their "Russia/Ukraine War" panel all over the place. 

I get it. I really do. But as far as I am aware, they have not made a statement publicly denouncing this whole thing (yet at this point NRF has). So it feels a little bit like... an overt and shameless attempt to capitalize on this tragedy (come on, a tad bit desperate for a seven sister, is business that bad, guys?) while taking a "neutral" stance on it. 

The thing is, I don't really even care and I don't really know anything about anything. I just find the pearl-clutching over NRF a bit funny, while BLG basically hounds would-be (probably Russian) clients. Or maybe I am just annoyed because I keep getting emails regarding their panel.

(FYI, this is just a bit. I think the vast majority of these firms do reprehensible things all the time so it is hard to really be surprised or dismayed by firms not taking a stance on this. Like, there's a seven sister that practically has a slaver's defence practice group. Where did this sudden veneer of decency come from? Because they turn their logos into rainbow flags every June? Was this non-controversy just junior-to-intermediate big law associates coping with the mirror that had been placed in front of them? Gimme a break.)

Edited by bebebebebe

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

BLG isn't a seven sister and the distinction between them and NRF is that NRF has/had offices in Russia while BLG doesn't, so your comparison between the two isn't really sensical or apt. NRF only said something publicly because they initially sent a memo around saying not to comment on it and then pivoted to withdrawing from Russia alongside the other vereins.

bebebebebe
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

BLG isn't a seven sister and the distinction between them and NRF is that NRF has/had offices in Russia while BLG doesn't, so your comparison between the two isn't really sensical or apt. NRF only said something publicly because they initially sent a memo around saying not to comment on it and then pivoted to withdrawing from Russia alongside the other vereins.

The seven sister I was referring to wasn't BLG. And not having offices in Russia makes silence even more self-explanatory. At least NRF had an excuse. But as I said: I don't really care to jump down BLG or NRF or any firm's throat for silence or support or condemnation. It's all the same shit regardless.

Edited by bebebebebe

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, bebebebebe said:

The seven sister I was referring to wasn't BLG. And not having offices in Russia makes silence even more self-explanatory. At least NRF had an excuse. But as I said: I don't really care to jump down BLG or NRF or any firm's throat for silence or support or condemnation. It's all the same shit regardless.

58 minutes ago, bebebebebe said:

What do y'all think of BLG's way of handling this? Just over a week after the war started, with the bodies barely cold yet, they started slinging their "Russia/Ukraine War" panel all over the place. 

I get it. I really do. But as far as I am aware, they have not made a statement publicly denouncing this whole thing (yet at this point NRF has). So it feels a little bit like... an overt and shameless attempt to capitalize on this tragedy (come on, a tad bit desperate for a seven sister, is business that bad, guys?) while taking a "neutral" stance on it. 

The thing is, I don't really even care and I don't really know anything about anything. I just find the pearl-clutching over NRF a bit funny, while BLG basically hounds would-be (probably Russian) clients. Or maybe I am just annoyed because I keep getting emails regarding their panel.

(FYI, this is just a bit. I think the vast majority of these firms do reprehensible things all the time so it is hard to really be surprised or dismayed by firms not taking a stance on this. Like, there's a seven sister that practically has a slaver's defence practice group. Where did this sudden veneer of decency come from? Because they turn their logos into rainbow flags every June? Was this non-controversy just junior-to-intermediate big law associates coping with the mirror that had been placed in front of them? Gimme a break.)

I wasn't talking about your edit.

bebebebebe
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Rashabon said:

I wasn't talking about your edit.

Well, my bad. I must have fallen asleep that day in class.