Top 5 Law schools in Canada?

qsizzle

mjslava
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

People are about to catch bans if I don't start seeing more civil law schools in these rankings.

Well then maybe they should git gud. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

11 minutes ago, Renerik said:

People are about to catch bans if I don't start seeing more civil law schools in these rankings.

oh god.

1. Ecole de Poutine

2. Equalization Payment U

3. Universite un frank-a-phone

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
30 minutes ago, Evolution said:

my take on this situation is synonymous to what this person said about a month ago on the forum

The only aspect of that situation that Ryerson deserves to be dunked on for is admitting that guy in the first place.

• Like 2

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, MapleLeafs said:

Oz has a national presence and it is undoubtedly a tier above Western/Queens. better big law placement, best clinical opportunities in all of Canada, and better clerkship rates 

All of those schools have a national presence and similar biglaw and clerkship rates, idk about clinical opportunities as idgaf about them personally. Oz is just a bigger school lol.

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

More noteworthy alumni too I might add. A lot of judges and top-tier lawyers are from there. Oz also reigns in some areas of law because of its diverse course selection and clinical programs.

Or maybe its because they’re nearly 2x the size of other schools

Turtles
  • Law Student
52 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Please start with the guy who tried to equate Osgoode with Western and Queen's. IP ban too please.

• Thanks 1
  • Nom! 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
21 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think the only people who I find funnier than those who try to cling to their school’s prestige rather than their own accomplishments are those who try to say schools that are objectively better are actually tied with their school because neither their schools prestige or their accomplishments fill the void in their heart. 

Idk if you’re referring to me but I don’t go to any of the schools I listed. No need to be all embarassed your school hasn’t been in the top tier since last century.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think the only people who I find funnier than those who try to cling to their school’s prestige rather than their own accomplishments are those who try to say schools that are objectively better are actually tied with their school because neither their schools prestige or their accomplishments fill the void in their heart. 

9 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Idk if you’re referring to me but I don’t go to any of the schools I listed. No need to be all embarassed your school hasn’t been in the top tier since last century.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, you're both right.

Oz sucks, and Queens and Western suck more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

My ranking: anything I'm capable of achieving is completely unimpressive, anything I'm unable to achieve is obviously impressive and superior to me and aspirational.

So, UBC and any school lesser than UBC = Garbage (and yes, Oz is most definitely in this category).

UofT = Good (although not exactly a T6).

McGill = Possibly good. People who generally know what they are talking about say it's good. Rankings lists, reputation, prestige all seem favorable. But...they don't even LSAT, bro. On the one hand, I don't know French, thus I couldn't get in, thus it's good. On the other, does that mean every rinky dink civil law school in Quebec is good? I dunno, I need to have a think about that one.

Similarly:

Trial level clerkships = Garbage.

Appellate and SCC clerkships = The realm of superior beings people like me are made to take orders from.

Most government jobs = Garbage.

Some rare office like MAG Constitutional = Good.

Good criminal defence firms = Garbage.

Lesser criminal defence firms = You're joking.

Henein Hutchison tier defence firms = Good.

Oh and obviously all BigLaw is garbage. I dunno, maybe Davies is harder to get on with, maybe Lenczner Slaght is good? IDGAF.

Edited by CleanHands
  • LOL 6

5 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

My ranking: anything I'm capable of achieving is completely unimpressive, anything I'm unable to achieve is obviously impressive and superior to me and aspirational.

So, UBC and any school lesser than UBC = Garbage (and yes, Oz is most definitely in this category).

UofT = Good (although not exactly a T6).

McGill = Possibly good. People who generally know what they are talking about say it's good. Rankings lists, reputation, prestige all seem favorable. But...they don't even LSAT, bro. On the one hand, I don't know French, thus I couldn't get in, thus it's good. On the other, does that mean every rinky dink civil law school in Quebec is good? I dunno, I need to have a think about that one.

Similarly:

Trial level clerkships = Garbage.

Appellate and SCC clerkships = The realm of superior beings people like me are made to take orders from.

Most government jobs = Garbage.

Some rare office like MAG Constitutional = Good.

Good criminal defence firms = Garbage.

Lesser criminal defence firms = You're joking.

Henein Hutchison tier defence firms = Good.

Oh and obviously all BigLaw is garbage. I dunno, maybe Davies is harder to get on with, maybe Lenczner Slaght is good? IDGAF.

Did you get into the dual JD at Windsor? If not, then it's an impressive feat for those that do 🤪

• LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Just now, qsizzle said:

Did you get into the dual JD at Windsor? If not, then it's an impressive feat for those that do 🤪

I didn't apply and thus I didn't get accepted, so perhaps logically that means it's a very impressive program. I'm not sure, it's been a while since I wrote the LSAT. 🤔

• Like 1

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

@CleanHands all your list shows is that you are more capable and talented than you give yourself credit for. Because it seems to me like you've achieved some pretty impressive things. 

McGill is a bit of an unknown for me. I've never seen any employment reports from there. I hear from McGill students that most grads end up working in Quebec in corporate fields. It doesn't have many clinics. It doesn't require the LSAT. But in general it has a good reputation. It places well in clerkships but I wonder if this is primarily due to the bilingualism component. For all the other law schools, we can concretely point to what is good or not good about them, but with McGill it is still a big unknown. And no McGill grad has shared any employment reports for us to see either. 

Electricity
  • Law Student

Mods, please just let this one run free. At least until the first Jordan Peterson reference or something. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Nom! 3

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Queen's has professor Bruce Pardy (currently on leave b/c he's sans vax), a close friend and advocate of the honourable Dr. Peterson. T1 for sure. 

• Like 3

99problems
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, Electricity said:

Mods, please just let this one run free. At least until the first Jordan Peterson reference or something. 

why do we even have to ask? 

Snax
  • Lawyer

There are obviously 4 tiers of law schools: 

1) the school that I attended 

2) the schools that accepted me but which I did not attend

3) the schools I did not apply to 

4) the schools that rejected me

therefore, uoft and Osgoode are objectively trash and I don’t understand the hype around them. At least go to a third tier school like McGill or UBC and save yourself some money while you’re at it. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Renerik said:

In no specific order the top 5 schools are:
- McGill
- Laval
- UQAM
- Montreal
- Sherbrooke
UOttawa would have made the list as an honorable mention but they're in Ontario so dead to my PQ nationalist heart.

I've heard Université de Montréal Faculty of Law is a very good school. It seems to have JD partnership programs with some good schools. It has a list of distinguished alumni like Louise Arbour and Wikipedia says "In 2018, the Faculty was ranked as the best francophone law school in the world". I see quite a few alumni from this school working in good jobs in Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Université_de_Montréal_Faculty_of_Law

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

@Pendragon

I've pretty much only heard good things about UdeM. Its frankly strange how little civil law schools are discussed on this forum. I understand that many applicants aren't bilingual, but many francophone students without perfect English are able to make the leap to English law schools - no reason that someone with a passable level of French couldn't do the same at a French school. The tuition is low in QC and there are ways for students at civil law schools to become qualified for the common law system with only a little extra education. 

Edited by villiuski

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, villiuski said:

The tuition is low in QC and there are ways for students at civil law schools to become qualified for the common law system with only a little extra education. 

I'm sorry, but this is asinine. If people want to practice in common law provinces they should go to common law programs.

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

I like how even when everybody else starts memeing, you can always count on @Darth Vader and @Pendragon to keep it real. 🤣

I think I started a movement because after my posts, there has been a couple school comparison posts that cropped up. People are anonymously reading this hoping to glean information that will help them make a decision. And I'm helping you keep this thread open from being locked by the mods. You're welcome.

May the dark side be with you. 

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

I'm sorry, but this is asinine. If people want to practice in common law provinces they should go to common law programs.

And pay common law programs' tuition? Hell nah! I want to have my cake and eat it too. Gimme that cheap education and those nice Toronto salaries!

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

@CleanHands

To be fair, I'm approaching this from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand why people would want to leave Quebec 😛 Not advocating for people who want to practice in Ontario to attend a civil law school. But I think that the ease of becoming qualified to practice common law is a bonus for people who think they would  be happy practicing in Quebec but want the assurance that they can go elsewhere if necessary. 

• Like 1

Mbu1
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Boris said:

And pay common law programs' tuition? Hell nah! I want to have my cake and eat it too. Gimme that cheap education and those nice Toronto salaries!

Have you considered Moncton's French common law program

4 minutes ago, Mbu1 said:

Have you considered Moncton's French common law program

I have not (solely for personal reasons, though). Is tuition cheap there as well?