Top 5 Law schools in Canada?

qsizzle

Mbu1
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, Boris said:

I have not (solely for personal reasons, though). Is tuition cheap there as well?

Super cheap. I believe 8k per year. Double check but definitely less than 10k

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mbu1 said:

are Quebec common law degrees recognized (not legally, but reputationally) across Canada?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
13 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

It's easy to do when it's pulled out of someone's ass

I'd say the same as I saw that they rank Yale the fourth in US.

Edited by LordBONSAI

GreyDude
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, Renerik said:

In no specific order the top 5 schools are:
- McGill 
- Laval
- UQAM
- Montreal
- Sherbrooke
UOttawa would have made the list as an honorable mention but they're in Ontario so dead to my PQ nationalist heart.

Clearly, if ya don’t speak French ya just can’t get a decent legal education in Canada. 

But more on topic, this ranking is interesting. Without wanting to take it too seriously (they’re all excellent schools), I’d adjust this ranking of civil law schools (adding Ottawa) to

- McGill - Montreal - Sherbrooke coop - Ottawa - Laval - Sherbrooke regular - UQAM. 

This is based on my students’ preferences and the reception each school receives in the circles I move in.  It’s also based on academics.  From the point of view of preparation for law, I might put Sherbrooke coop at the top. It’s certainly one of the harder ones to get in to. 

My own view of the Quebec schools is that the French ones are roughly equal in quality, with UQAM suffering a slightly lower reputation than the others (but UQAM gets a bad rap in general, which is probably not fair). McGill is an outlier, because its bilingualism and transsystemic program put it in a different category. I think it and UdeM are probably roughly equivalent in terms of quality of the education they offer. I put Ottawa fourth, above, but I'm not really sure about its French program to be honest.  USherbrooke's coop? Amazing by all accounts. 

Edited by GreyDude

GreyDude
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, qsizzle said:

oh god.

1. Ecole de Poutine

2. Equalization Payment U

3. Universite un frank-a-phone

I just want to note that I find the QC (and Quebec law schools) bashing extremely disappointing. It denigrates over 20% of the country and insults at least ⅓ of the Supreme Court. We’re better than this. 

Edited by GreyDude
BQ corrected my ⅓ below, so I made it approximate here.
  • Like 4

GreyDude
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-law-degrees-canada 

FWIW, it intrigues me that the London Times puts common and civil law schools in Canada together on their rankings.

Civil law is … law. Université de Montréal and Université Laval are both world-class schools. Whether we agree with it (or even like it) or not, THE ranks top law schools regardless of system. I don’t think Dutch and German law schools are teaching the common law, yet they’re right there alongside the others as well. 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
20 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

just want to note that I find the QC (and Quebec law schools) bashing extremely disappointing. It denigrates over 20% of the country and insults ⅓ of the Supreme Court.

In fairness to the 4/9ths of the Supreme Court with civil law degrees, three of them got them at McGill, a school that user had ranked second in the country. 

So really it just insults Côté. 

More seriously, light-hearted ribbing of other provinces is a Canadian tradition. I don't think the comment was made with malice—it was more a joke at the user's own expense about their lack of knowledge of civil law schools. It was a deeply unserious comment in a deeply unserious thread, so I don't think there's any reason to get up in arms over it. 

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

In fairness to the 4/9ths of the Supreme Court with civil law degrees, three of them got them at McGill, a school that user had ranked second in the country. 

So really it just insults Côté. 

More seriously, light-hearted ribbing of other provinces is a Canadian tradition. I don't think the comment was made with malice—it was more a joke at the user's own expense about their lack of knowledge of civil law schools. It was a deeply unserious comment in a deeply unserious thread, so I don't think there's any reason to get up in arms over it. 

4/9 - my bad. 

Yeah, maybe I'm being sensitive. But the post I quoted was in the context of the "request for a vomit emoji" from the same user earlier in the thread, and that's why I spoke up. I did not find the ribbing to be light-hearted. Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but maybe it's also a sign that the way we express things matters. 

Also, let's not insult even 1/9 of the SCC. Y'know?

Edited by GreyDude
riding my high horse all the way to the top of the hill.

Renerik
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

Yeah, maybe I'm being sensitive.

It also struck a nerve in me. But then I remembered that I'm not Ontarian and breathed a sigh of relief.

• LOL 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, qsizzle said:

are Quebec common law degrees recognized (not legally, but reputationally) across Canada?

Do you mean Civil Law? Or do I just not understand the question? A common law degree from QC (a McGill JD, for example, or the supplementary year you can get from UdeM/Ottawa in common law) is, of course, recognized everywhere in Canada. 

29 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

I was with you on the Quebec-bashing writ large, but you’ll have to pry the Malcolm Rowe jokes from my cold dead hands!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
53 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

Civil law is … law. Université de Montréal and Université Laval are both world-class schools. Whether we agree with it (or even like it) or not, THE ranks top law schools regardless of system. I don’t think Dutch and German law schools are teaching the common law, yet they’re right there alongside the others as well. 

I didn't mean to debase the quality of Canadian civil law schools. They're all good. I'm just curious what metrics these ranking companies use to rank law schools from different jurisdictions. Even comparing US to UK law schools makes little sense to me given the very distinct structure of their law programs. 

Edited by LordBONSAI
  • Like 2

GreyDude
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

I didn't mean to debase the quality of Canadian civil law schools. They're all good. I'm just curious what metrics these ranking companies use to rank law schools from different jurisdictions. Even comparing US to UK law schools makes little sense to me given the very distinct structure of their law programs. 

I'm with you on that. The overall value of rankings, including the ranking I made in an earlier post to this thread, and which I'm now regretting, is dubious at best, unless you can provide some sort of reliable metric. The whole thing seems, to agree with @BlockedQuebecois (I think), somewhat unserious.

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GreyDude said:

4/9 - my bad. 

Yeah, maybe I'm being sensitive. But the post I quoted was in the context of the "request for a vomit emoji" from the same user earlier in the thread, and that's why I spoke up. I did not find the ribbing to be light-hearted. Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but maybe it's also a sign that the way we express things matters. 

12 hours ago, Renerik said:

It also struck a nerve in me. But then I remembered that I'm not Ontarian and breathed a sigh of relief.

Hey, I honestly didn't mean to offend. I was just thinking everyone is pretty stressed this time around so I thought some light hearted banter would help.

It's hard to tell online about malice and sarcasm. But I can say my comments were friendly in nature. I know alot of Quebecois and they roast Alberta and we roast them back. It's all good fun with no ill intent. At the end of the day we are all human. But I think it's fun to take friendly jabs at eachother when we can so we don't take ourselves too seriously.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

ccq35
  • Law Student

I think we’re all forgetting an important target for roasting: whatever your thoughts on provinces, law school rankings, or 4/9ths of our Supreme Court justices, it could always be much worse. 

None of us are attending law school in the U.S., paying U.S. tuition 🙂

Edited by ccq35
  • Nom! 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, qsizzle said:

thought some light hearted banter would help.

It is appreciated! I should make it more obvious that half my posts are me taking the piss. Especially on such a serious topic as this thread 🤪

17 minutes ago, ccq35 said:

I think we’re all forgetting an important target for roasting: whatever your thoughts on provinces, law school rankings, or 4/9ths of our Supreme Court justices, it could always be much worse. 

None of us are attending law school in the U.S., paying U.S. tuition 🙂

Don't let @erin otoole see this. 👀

• Like 1

ccq35
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Don't let @erin otoole see this. 👀

I completely forgot about our dual programs, apologies to all Windsor and Ottawa dual JD students! However, as a happy McGillian, transsystemia beats comparative.*

*This opinion has been approved by 3/9ths of the Supreme Court of Canada.

• Nom! 1

• 2 weeks later...
Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
On 3/3/2022 at 11:15 PM, villiuski said:

@CleanHands

To be fair, I'm approaching this from the perspective of someone who doesn't understand why people would want to leave Quebec 😛 

*checks notes from the last 3 years*

- it's fucking cold

- there's a lot of snow

- they serve hot dogs even at nice restaurants 😤

- Legault

- Bill c21 and the general rampant racism and Islamophobia in QC

However, I do enjoy the cheap rent, good poutine and cute french girls.

All that aside, you can't deny that McGill and UdeM are fantastic schools if you can stomach the cold, snow and racism. 

Edited by Glamurosa
  • Like 1
  • Nom! 2

bubbles
  • Law Student
On 3/4/2022 at 12:47 AM, Mbu1 said:

8k/year is correct 🙂 The school also has a bunch of scholarships, I'm currently paying 4k for the entire year!

• Like 1

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

@Glamurosa

I actually like the snow, cold, and fancy hotdogs... 😆 but I won't deny that there are serious problems in QC. My previous comment was tongue in cheek. 

• Like 2

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
11 hours ago, villiuski said:

@Glamurosa

I actually like the snow, cold, and fancy hotdogs... 😆 but I won't deny that there are serious problems in QC. My previous comment was tongue in cheek. 

I know, I'm just not good at getting snarkiness across on my computer lol

• Nom! 1

mark
  • Undergrad

UOFT is number one for me. because I'm here. Without in-depth analysis, just a good base, meaningful knowledge and nice people)