Chance for UBC or UVic, and LSAT aim. cGPA = 84.81%

freshwatermind

freshwatermind
  • Applicant

Hi 

I am a newbie in law school admission and prepare for law school admission for next cycle. My target school is UBC and UVic, since my partner and I will move to Vancouver from US next year. 

My undergrad institution was in the US, so it was confusing to calculate the cGPA for the UBC but I managed it. If the cGPA is about 84.81%, what score I should aim for the LSAT to get in the two schools in Vancouver?

Thanks in advance

Edited by freshwatermind

Renerik
  • Law Student

Just a heads up, UVic is too far of a commute from Vancouver (Unless you own a private plane, can afford gas, and know your local aerodromes well). 

Your cGPA is above the average (median?) for UBC (83% as per their website) so aim for an LSAT around their average (166+).

• Like 3

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Renerik said:

Just a heads up, UVic is too far of a commute from Vancouver (Unless you own a private plane, can afford gas, and know your local aerodromes well). 

Your cGPA is above the average (median?) for UBC (83% as per their website) so aim for an LSAT around their average (166+).

I’ll be commuting from Vancouver to UVic next year 😬🔫. Not ideal but the ferry is a good place to get some reading done.

• Like 2

Renerik
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I’ll be commuting from Vancouver to UVic next year 😬🔫. Not ideal but the ferry is a good place to get some reading done.

...Can you sink 4+ hours a day into a commute..!?
If you're serious send me a DM and I'll walk you through how to get your seaplane rating and how to submit a flight plan ✈️.

image.png

Whist
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Hate to be so sharp, but you’re setting yourself up for literally failing out of law school if you do this. You would have to have a place to stay on the island during the week and come back to Vancouver on the weekends for it to be in any way plausible. Even then, that would be a ridiculous way to go about it. If you’re attending UVic you need to live on the island, full stop.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student

I used to live in California. Commuting between SF and LA is way worse. 

However, I’ll have a crash pad so I don’t plan to do it every day. 

But yes, I wonder how hard it is to learn to fly a helicopter. It can’t be that bad. 

Renerik
  • Law Student

After the requisite ground school portion of flight training, you'd only need 45 hours of flight time to get your PPL. You could get all those hours within a week of commuting to and from UVic. Then the process to get your seaplane rating is much simpler than getting your PHL. Point is, this is still a much simpler process than commuting to UVic from Vancouver. Just rent a place in Esquimalt and get a bike. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Whist said:

Hate to be so sharp, but you’re setting yourself up for literally failing out of law school if you do this. You would have to have a place to stay on the island during the week and come back to Vancouver on the weekends for it to be in any way plausible. Even then, that would be a ridiculous way to go about it. If you’re attending UVic you need to live on the island, full stop.

Ya… I have a spouse with a job, kids, a mortgage, and extended family in Vancouver. We have no plans settling in Victoria, and my spouse would have zero income if we did, so moving isn’t happening. Three years of travelling to the island for school will suck but at certain points in life you have to make due with the options you have. 

4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

After the requisite ground school portion of flight training, you'd only need 45 hours of flight time to get your PPL. You could get all those hours within a week of commuting to and from UVic. Then the process to get your seaplane rating is much simpler than getting your PHL. Point is, this is still a much simpler process than commuting to UVic from Vancouver. Just rent a place in Esquimalt and get a bike. 

Oooh! You don’t know me very well but becoming a pilot and a lawyer simultaneously is totally my style. How do I get moving on this?

Renerik
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

How do I get moving on this?

Much to the chagrin of your family and law school prospects, join the Air Force 😎.

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Then the process to get your seaplane rating is much simpler than getting your PHL

Still have to take the bus from the inner harbour to campus, of course. Oak Bay Harbour is closer, but don't believe they allow seaplane ops. 😉

5 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Three years of travelling to the island for school will suck but at certain points in life you have to make due with the options you have. 

Just an FYI that parking at UVic can be tricky. Not sure where you are planning for your crash pad to be, but probably most efficient for it to be walking distance to campus, rather than struggling with driving in and finding parking. Might even be worth looking into residence.

(I mention this based on the assumption that you might otherwise be inclined to get a place far from school with the goal of minimizing cost).

• Like 1

Whist
  • Law Student

9 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Ya… I have a spouse with a job, kids, a mortgage, and extended family in Vancouver. We have no plans settling in Victoria, and my spouse would have zero income if we did, so moving isn’t happening. Three years of travelling to the island for school will suck but at certain points in life you have to make due with the options you have. 

Are you going to get up at 3 AM to make an 8 AM class? Are you going to take your car across for $80 a pop multiple times a week and deal with traffic too? Or are you going to go on foot and rely on bus schedules to get to school? What happens if the ferry is delayed or god forbid not running? What happens if busses are delayed? How are you going to participate in any extracurriculars on your schedule? How are you going to arrange to meet classmates for projects that need you in-person outside class time? How are you going to make time to see friends and family properly when you’ll be spending half your life in transit? 

I get that family and work obligations mean sacrifices. But this is frankly a silly idea. If you got into UVic, you’re probably capable of getting into UBC. Either move yourself to the island full time and visit home from time to time, or reapply next year for UBC. Driving from Vancouver to Kamloops is technically possible, but no one would suggest living in Vancouver to attend TRU. That’s how bizarre this sounds. It’s not “going to suck,” it’s going to be unsustainable in short order.

• Like 4

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
46 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Absolutely ridiculous to entertain or to suggest to anyone that this is viable.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Much to the chagrin of your family and law school prospects, join the Air Force 😎.

Air Force on the resume could get me into UBC.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
40 minutes ago, Whist said:

Are you going to get up at 3 AM to make an 8 AM class? Are you going to take your car across for $80 a pop multiple times a week and deal with traffic too? Or are you going to go on foot and rely on bus schedules to get to school? What happens if the ferry is delayed or god forbid not running? What happens if busses are delayed? How are you going to participate in any extracurriculars on your schedule? How are you going to arrange to meet classmates for projects that need you in-person outside class time? How are you going to make time to see friends and family properly when you’ll be spending half your life in transit? 

I get that family and work obligations mean sacrifices. But this is frankly a silly idea. If you got into UVic, you’re probably capable of getting into UBC. Either move yourself to the island full time and visit home from time to time, or reapply next year for UBC. Driving from Vancouver to Kamloops is technically possible, but no one would suggest living in Vancouver to attend TRU. That’s how bizarre this sounds. It’s not “going to suck,” it’s going to be unsustainable in short order.

Classes start at 9:30 earliest and there’s a plane that leaves from downtown at 8 and arrives in Victoria at 8:35.

Unfortunately being able to get into UVic =/= being capable of getting into UBC.

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
25 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Classes start at 9:30 earliest

This is wrong. Many courses start at 8:30. This may not be the case in 1L for you next year, but it's not something you can count on. In upper years, you will also likely have evening classes. As you know, the floatplanes don't fly in the dark. Some days the last flights are at 4 or earlier, so even a mid-afternoon class will be out of the picture.

I realize you stated above that you would also have a crash pad in Victoria, which is obviously mitigates this. But the claim that it's feasible to just fly in and out for a routine school day is not tenable.

• Like 2

mjslava
  • Applicant

I find it entertaining how this went from a “Chance me” thread to a “what was n God’s name are you thinking, man thread.

To OP, score as high as possible. You have a good GPA. If you need a number, at least 165.

To Patient… I’d think long and hard about how this could affect your life at home with your family. Have you done a run through of the commute before? I mean, best of luck to you, but damn.

• LOL 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
42 minutes ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

This is wrong. Many courses start at 8:30. This may not be the case in 1L for you next year, but it's not something you can count on. In upper years, you will also likely have evening classes. As you know, the floatplanes don't fly in the dark. Some days the last flights are at 4 or earlier, so even a mid-afternoon class will be out of the picture.

I realize you stated above that you would also have a crash pad in Victoria, which is obviously mitigates this. But the claim that it's feasible to just fly in and out for a routine school day is not tenable.

I never said that I’d be flying in for class every single day…

And I’m in touch with housing. They are helping me set up my weekday crash pad. Apparently I’m not the first person to have dual commitments on the Island and the Mainland!

In general (not necessarily a response only to @TheDevilIKnow, although your previous comment before this one had some solid tips, ie. parking),  I’m not sure why being so negative is productive. My current options are what they are. If any UVic students want to DM me with tips on how to ride this out, HMU!

Patient0L
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, mjslava said:

I find it entertaining how this went from a “Chance me” thread to a “what was n God’s name are you thinking, man thread.

To OP, score as high as possible. You have a good GPA. If you need a number, at least 165.

To Patient… I’d think long and hard about how this could affect your life at home with your family. Have you done a run through of the commute before? I mean, best of luck to you, but damn.

Right? I think the orig post just got highjacked and turned into a “pile on @Patient0L post. Ironically I’m the one who’s like, IDK, and my family are the ones who are like “UVic! You gotta do this!”

Lui
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, Patient0L said:

I never said that I’d be flying in for class every single day…

And I’m in touch with housing. They are helping me set up my weekday crash pad. Apparently I’m not the first person to have dual commitments on the Island and the Mainland!

In general (not necessarily a response only to @TheDevilIKnow, although your previous comment before this one had some solid tips, ie. parking),  I’m not sure why being so negative is productive. My current options are what they are. If any UVic students want to DM me with tips on how to ride this out, HMU!

Hey - a fellow UVic admit here in a somewhat similar predicament as I also live in Vancouver with my wife and two children and I own a business in Vancouver. Are you coming to the Dean's Reception? It'd be great if we could have a chat there or can I send you a DM? Really, just interested in hearing more about your plan and all. 😅

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
24 minutes ago, I.U. said:

Hey - a fellow UVic admit here in a somewhat similar predicament as I also live in Vancouver with my wife and two children and I own a business in Vancouver. Are you coming to the Dean's Reception? It'd be great if we could have a chat there or can I send you a DM? Really, just interested in hearing more about your plan and all. 😅

I know nothing about the Dean’s reception! It’s been less that a week and I just accepted my offer though. I hope that’s it and not that I’m not invited! 😂 Yes DM me!! It’s going to be tough but… let’s try to make it work!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Commuting between SF and LA is way worse

This is like a 6 hour drive. I know people in LA like to commute for a crazy amount of time but even this would be too much for them. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, Ryn said:

This is like a 6 hour drive. I know people in LA like to commute for a crazy amount of time but even this would be too much for them. 

I did it for awhile. Love/booty was involved. 

Edited by Patient0L
Forgot to add context
  • LOL 1

40 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I did it for awhile. Love/booty was involved. 

How did you have time for sleep? Assuming a full workday, that only leaves like 4 hours of time where you’re not driving or working. And you still gotta eat and shower and what not. Well, if that was how it was for you then you certainly have much more endurance than anyone I know. 

I know lots of people from LA, some who would commute from the Inland Empire to LA (that’s like a 2.5 hour drive one way). But I think they’d draw the line there that’s for sure!

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, Patient0L said:

OP - to make sure this is clear then, you are not commuting during weekdays, correct? You'll crashing on weekdays on campus and going home on weekends?

Because I'm going to echo literally everyone else here and mention that any other way of handling this will turn you into a wreck before you're done the second month of school. 

• Like 1

I read “commuting” as like by the week or home every other weekend. Considering this is the standard for many of the husbands around my rural AB town (yes, husbands mostly) who work in oil and gas.. why is this so shocking?

I’ve considered commuting to law school  (I priced out flying home every other weekend) for myself if I’m not admitted to the university closer to home. Though it’s likely not possible for our personal situation (and no, not ideal or preferred)—the HORRIFIED comments I’ve received from friends and family is really interesting. If my husband announced tomorrow that he was taking a job where he would be away for weeks at a time, no one would even blink 🙄 

(not sure if the original comment about commuting is a parent or mom/dad, but I found this interesting in my own situation anyway).

**if commuting daily, yeah that’s nuts lol I drive 1 hour each way currently and that’s enough daily commute.

(and sorry to further derail things, as I’m realizing just now that the original post had nothing to do with this 🤣)

Edited by Abc321
  • Like 1