Chance for UBC or UVic, and LSAT aim. cGPA = 84.81%

freshwatermind

1 minute ago, Abc321 said:

I read “commuting” as like by the week or home every other weekend.

It seems to be a definition thing, yeah. To me, commuting means a daily event. I think other people hear it that way too because of what the reaction was. But I agree, if by “commuting”, OP actually meant “not traveling daily but having weekday sleeping arrangements near or on campus” then yes it’s totally doable and an entirely different story. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, Abc321 said:

I read “commuting” as like by the week or home every other weekend. Considering this is the standard for many of the husbands around my rural AB town (yes, husbands mostly) who work in oil and gas.. why is this so shocking?

One of the first responses to that member stated that weekend trips home were the only way the plan would be viable and the OP's responses implied that was not their plan.

Yes, weekdays in Victoria and weekends in Vancouver would be doable. Daily trips would be straight up insane. OP appears to have some in-between plan.

Just now, CleanHands said:

One of the first responses to that member stated that weekend trips home were the only way the plan would be viable and the OP's responses implied that was not their plan.

Yes, weekdays in Victoria and weekends in Vancouver would be doable. Daily trips would be straight up insane. OP appears to have some in-between plan.

Ahh. Missed that. 

Ice
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Patient0L said:

I did it for awhile. Love/booty was involved. 

Taking "My parents aren't home, come over" to a whole new level 😂. I respect the dedication tho

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Ryn said:

How did you have time for sleep? Assuming a full workday, that only leaves like 4 hours of time where you’re not driving or working. And you still gotta eat and shower and what not. Well, if that was how it was for you then you certainly have much more endurance than anyone I know. 

I know lots of people from LA, some who would commute from the Inland Empire to LA (that’s like a 2.5 hour drive one way). But I think they’d draw the line there that’s for sure!

Well... I was younger and didn't need much sleep. Also, cheap flights from LA to SF were to be had more easily back then. But I didn't do it every day, and I had a career which didn't involve going to an office.

With the crappy conditional labor thing that is happening in academia now, I know plenty of people who live in LA, drive 3 hours to San Diego to teach one 3 hour course and then drive back (for $5K per semester). It suuuuuucks... but yes, SF to LA is unsustainable unless you have plenty of cash for flights.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Abc321 said:

Ahh. Missed that. 

I can't remember what I said because it was late... but coming home for weekends yes. But... maybe I'm hoping for the occasional mid-week jaunt home to put my child to sleep... 😥 Who knows if that will be possible but that is the goal.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Ice said:

I respect the dedication tho

Fine line between dedication and despiration 💐

• LOL 1