Mainly Journal assignments in 1L

sonia

sonia
  • Law Student

Hi just wondering what journals look like in 1L? Are they more than 3pages? Are they personal experience based or based on either research or opinion? 

thanks in advance. 

nestlepurelife
  • Law Student

What do you mean by journal assignments? Is this for a specific school? I may be missing something.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

Never heard of these. Are you referring to when people talk about law journals? That's the only thing I can think of. If so, those are academic publications which law students can act as editors for. They're not assignments.

sonia
  • Law Student

Forgive me. In my course selections they have a breakdown of assignment grade %. So for instance 1 course is 8 journals for 100% of the grade. Im just wondering what these journals look like. In my BA they were often opinion pieces and short so 2-3 pages in length. Im just wondering what this kind of journal writing might look like for a law course. 

LMP
  • Articling Student
31 minutes ago, sonia said:

Forgive me. In my course selections they have a breakdown of assignment grade %. So for instance 1 course is 8 journals for 100% of the grade. Im just wondering what these journals look like. In my BA they were often opinion pieces and short so 2-3 pages in length. Im just wondering what this kind of journal writing might look like for a law course. 

You have a course where the entire grade is determined from assignments? What school are you going to?

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer

Do you get to pick your courses/profs or are they pre-determined for you? If you can pick them, then there's probably no harm in emailing the professor and asking them for more detail about the journal assignments to help you make your course selection decision. If your classes are pre-determined, then I guess it doesn't really matter whether you know in advance since your prof will give you more detail during your first lecture - you could email your prof anyways but they might give you a generic answer about how you'll get more detail when classes actually start.

Hard to give you a more specific answer than that without knowing the school/course/prof since there's no universal answer for what a "journal" assignment looks like in law school - I never once had an assignment called a "journal" at law school. It's possible they're another word for case comments (where you summarize a case and then give your opinion/criticism of the ruling), general comments on an assigned reading, and/or a policy question where your answer combines your own opinion with references to course readings or research.

• Thanks 1

sonia
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, LMP said:
5 hours ago, LMP said:

You have a course where the entire grade is determined from assignments? What school are you going to?

Yes, the entire course is based on 8 written journals. 

sonia
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, OzLaw16 said:

If you can pick them, then there's probably no harm in emailing the professor and asking them for more detail about the journal assignments to help you make your course selection decision.

Oooooo, yes I will do this it makes so much sense. 

And I’m attending uOttawa’s Common Law program. 

SLoblaws
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, sonia said:

Yes, the entire course is based on 8 written journals. 

I'd say LRWA, but surely you'd have a moot or something? Ethics maybe?