Is there any advantage to having a Harvard Law degree if I work in Canada?

darthkitty

Electricity
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Rashabon said:

Harvard doesn't have magical training that lets candidates hit the ground running faster.

Sure, but all I was saying is that anyone in charge of hiring might see admission into one of the most competitive programs to exist as a decent indicator that they'll hit the ground running just fine on their own. 

3 hours ago, Rashabon said:

If you think that they are going to roll over impressed that a candidate went to Harvard, you're out of your mind.

19 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

let me know how it goes when you tell 99% of the equity partners on Bay Street that they should be impressed because you just graduated from Harvard.

The claim is that Harvard might give OP a leg up, not that it'll gain them automatic entry into whichever firm they want or that partners will be begging at their feet. 

20 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

A lot of the firms allow you to search by law school. You'll find more partners from Windsor than Harvard at most of them.

There's probably 20x the amount of Windsor-educated lawyers in the Canadian legal market. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, Electricity said:

Sure, but all I was saying is that anyone in charge of hiring might see admission into one of the most competitive programs to exist as a decent indicator that they'll hit the ground running just fine on their own.

You don't need to be wicked smaht to do this job. It's relatively easy. Run of the mill U-of-T-admission smart will do just fine. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

mjslava
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You don't need to be wicked smaht to do this job. It's relatively easy. Run of the mill U-of-T-admission smart will do just fine. 

Heretofore..

• Like 1

JackoMcSnacko
  • Lawyer

Op, you should note that there are people who answered your question directly with good advice, and there are others who offered advice without answering your question.  Take note when considering the responses in this thread. 

Anyhow, the answer is no, Harvard will not give you a material advantage in Canada.  

• Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
53 minutes ago, Electricity said:

The claim is that Harvard might give OP a leg up, not that it'll gain them automatic entry into whichever firm they want or that partners will be begging at their feet. 

There's probably 20x the amount of Windsor-educated lawyers in the Canadian legal market. 

A very important skill of a lawyer is to know what is within your expertise and when to defer to others. 

Hey, I would try and get your LSAT to 185 and your gpa to 102% and apply elsewhere.

Harvard is the best law school on earth, but by bumping those stats up to my suggestions you'll meet the medians for Mars University Law which is the best in the galaxy. Then you'll be much better set for Canadian law practice.

Edited by qsizzle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Electricity
  • Law Student
57 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

20 minutes ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

A very important skill of a lawyer is to know what is within your expertise and when to defer to others. 

Fine, fine. Deference to @Rashabon and anyone else on Bay Street. I'm just surprised to learn HYS provides no discernible benefit in Canadian big law. 

Best of luck in your decision, OP. 

• Like 1

easttowest
  • Lawyer

When I see HYS candidates on our call lists my first thought is “what went wrong that they’re here?” So it’s almost a red flag for me, at a sister or sister-type firm in Toronto. 

• LOL 2

WyattDerp
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, LMP said:

I refuse to believe that a Harvard degree won't catch Canadian lawyers eyes. It just doesn't make any sense. 

21 minutes ago, easttowest said:

When I see HYS candidates on our call lists my first thought is “what went wrong that they’re here?” So it’s almost a red flag for me, at a sister or sister-type firm in Toronto. 

Our firm has actually had several bad experiences with hiring people straight out of T6 (including Harvard) and has stopped doing so entirely.

Usually the ones coming back to Canada directly after graduation are......not at the top of their class. The partners know this and would much rather get someone in the top 10-15% from Windsor that they don't have to worry about.  

Its a lot easier to come back after a few years at US BigLaw (after you have proved you aren't useless) but then you have to ask whether a 50% pay cut and the NCAs are worth it.

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
33 minutes ago, WyattDerp said:

Its a lot easier to come back after a few years at US BigLaw (after you have proved you aren't useless) but then you have to ask whether a 50% pay cut and the NCAs are worth it.

I can't imagine that someone who will come out of Harvard law debt free has any desire to slog it on in American or Canadian Biglaw for anywhere near 5 years. Just my 2 cents based on those I know whose parents wouldn't bat an eyelash at dropping ~300k USD on a US law degree. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

I can't imagine that someone who will come out of Harvard law debt free has any desire to slog it on in American or Canadian Biglaw for anywhere near 5 years. Just my 2 cents based on those I know whose parents wouldn't bat an eyelash at dropping ~300k USD on a US law degree. 

What are you talking about? All kinds of people work in big law and some are even there on purpose.

• Like 2

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, easttowest said:

What are you talking about? All kinds of people work in big law and some are even there on purpose.

38 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

just my 2 cents based on those I know

I don't disagree that there are many people with family money in biglaw.

• Like 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student
On 3/26/2022 at 12:29 AM, Diplock said:

You can build an entire career on keeping your options open and never realize that in doing so you've never once consulted your own desires or ambitions about what you really want to do now instead of trying to ensure you can do it some day in the future. And then it's too late. So what the hell was the point? And this is, indeed, why so many ostensibly successful people in law are also so unhappy.

You need to get used to starting with the most important question of all - what do I want to do - and make choices based on that. Don't make choices based on what others would do in your position, or even on what you might want to do in the future, just in case. Decide now, as best you can, and go from there.

This looks like wise and excellent advice that I hope many will heed. 

Edited by GreyDude