Are my chances for law school gone?

kwakwa

prelawfemme

I agree with those who are suggesting taking a fifth year to increase your L2/B2. It's exactly what I did to increase my GPA and it was worth it. My cGPA is a 3.15 (lol I know), and my B2/L2/B3 is a 3.7ish. My first two years were weak so doing that extra year is definitely what got me my Windsor acceptance, and at the very least, my waitlist position from Western (last cycle). (Mind you, I also completed an MA, which I think holds some weight for a holistic school like Windsor). 

One piece of advice I can give you is, try not to assume your projected LSAT score based on your highest PT. I've scored in the high 160s on my PT's, and I typically choke on test day, which is what landed me my score of 158 on the real thing. I'm sure your test anxiety isn't as bad as mine, but it's really hard to project which schools you can get into without your real score. Try not to rush the LSAT, and give it everything you've got to compensate for grades. 

Totally_Bucked
  • Law School Admit
31 minutes ago, Avatar Aang said:

Don't lose hope. You have a stellar LSAT and very interesting experience indeed. I know people with this kind of experience in the profession and I am glad they came to law school and it's not all K-JDs talking about seven sisters vs. non seven sisters. If you don't get in anywhere this cycle, I would apply more broadly for the next one. 

Much appreciated. To be clear, I'm not giving up and I'm certainly not advising OP to give up either. I weighed in to say let's look at this year for what it was. It was incredibly competitive and atypical. I imagine applicant numbers will decline, much like they did in the years after 2008, as life returns to "normal." I'm already reworking my personal statements and trying to get some articles published so that I have more academic credibility for the next go around. 

For OP, I will echo what others have said here. If you can take an extra year or more classes to demonstrate a trend of improvement, do it. I will also reinforce what others have said about LSAT scores. My highest PT was 178, didn't happen on test day. The rule of thumb is your average PT score plus or minus three is what you can expect on the actual test, more often it's lower than your average rather than higher. So put in the hours, drill those logic games, and get the score you need.