Meals Allowance

Oscarworthy

Oscarworthy
  • Law Student

Can someone shed light on what a “meal allowance” is and why is it a benefit? 

Fruitdealer
  • Lawyer

Generally speaking anything you already have to do to live is something you are responsible for - i.e. food/living arrangements/transport to work. So if the job is paying for these things, they are generally employment benefits. The benefit here being that you had to eat something anyway, but now you're getting it for free from your job! Exceptions apply.

Turtles
  • Law Student
43 minutes ago, Oscarworthy said:

Can someone shed light on what a “meal allowance” is and why is it a benefit? 

To add onto this, what does meal allowance look like at a big firm? Is it an every workday kind of thing or only under certain conditions? What is the usual limit? Is there much variation in these policies across firms or do all the big firms do the same thing? 

Not because meal allowance will drive my career, but because I'm hungry right now and this post made me curious.

Fruitdealer
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Turtles said:

To add onto this, what does meal allowance look like at a big firm? Is it an every workday kind of thing or only under certain conditions? What is the usual limit? Is there much variation in these policies across firms or do all the big firms do the same thing? 

Not because meal allowance will drive my career, but because I'm hungry right now and this post made me curious.

Not exactly in a big firm, but generally dinner gets expensed by the firm if you are working past dinner time in the office. No idea about lunch - I certainly don't get that paid for by the firm. I don't think the dinner expense is generally considered a meal allowance though.

MissRepresented
  • Lawyer

Most big firms provide a meal allowance (usually in the $20-25 range) if you're working at the office late on a weeknight or more than half a day on the weekend. So it's a "perk" in that you get food paid for, but less so given you have to be working during what might otherwise be your own time.

I think when I summered it was $30 for dinner if I stayed past 7:30 or something. I could also get reimburse for a ride home. 

I know one Calgary firm that offers limited breakfast, lunch, and dinner but most only have a dinner policy. 

Fruitdealer
  • Lawyer
On 4/11/2022 at 6:19 PM, Damages said:

Does meal allowance come in to your T4 as taxation benefits?

Meal allowances are typically taxable benefits. Note that an allowance means they are giving you $$ to spend which is not the same as paying for your food or reimbursing you for food expenses which may or may not be taxable.

• Thanks 1