Lateraling & Impact on partnership prospects

nayaab05

nayaab05
  • Lawyer

What’s the most number of times a lawyer can lateral before it starts having an impact on potential partnership prospects? 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

There's not going to be a single answer to this. It's going to depend on why you're moving, why the firm is looking to hire, what firm you are moving to and from, practice area, year of call, etc.

At the end of the day, every time you lateral (and every time you make a career decision more generally) it is going to have an impact on partnership prospects. It might be a positive impact, it might be a negative one. 

I am somewhat removed from partnership decisions but I think it comes down to what can you offer the firm you are moving to. If you bring a book of business with you, chances are it will be easier to make partner. Not the only factor of course but it's likely the biggest. Otherwise, what else can you offer them that they need and can you make that part of the package either upon moving or within a defined time period. It's all negotiable but you have to bring something to the table or at least the prospect of doing so.

nayaab05
  • Lawyer

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was wondering just given how many lateral moves have been made during the pandemic (some moving twice in the last two years), whether the stigma around lateralling will still be as present especially for lawyers who want to stay and become partner.