Tutor

dizzykid

dizzykid
  • Applicant

Hi There, Just wondering if any 2Ls or 3Ls would be willing to tutor for the upcoming year? Or know of any tutors that they've used in the past? I would be looking for a few hours a week to go over what was said in class so I understand all the concepts thoroughly. Basically A dumb down version of what the professor is saying, so I don't miss anything. When it comes to school, I usually have to work twice as hard as the next person, which I don't mind, but I prefer to make sure I'm doing it right and bounce concepts off someone who understands them better. anyways if that's you or you know someone who can help out, PM me 🙂 thank you!

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

A heads up that a lot of law schools have tutors available (and they pay the students to be tutors). 

Also, if you have a disability (or suspect that you do) - get it figured out now. You mention that you usually have to work twice as hard. If it is memory challenges look into getting a psych ed. done (but before doing so reach out to your school's accessibility centre because there may be financial aid to assist paying for this and you want to make sure you do it all properly). Maybe even ADHD (ADHD often shows up in men and women differently and each person differently). For ADHD do the CADDRA assessments on your own and go find a doctor ASAP. 

Getting formal diagnoses will allow you to receive accommodations and/or support. This does not mean that you need to utilize them, but they are there if you need them. You may also be able to benefit from non-repayable grants for your student loan. 

People process information differently - and it is great that you recognize that and seem willing to reach out to get assistance to learn. I would go a step further and explore if there is any medical reason for your learning differently. If there is, you might find medication and/or technology that will aide in your success. 

• Like 1

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

I would encourage you to wait and find a tutor at your law school as/if the need arises. Professors will have different opinions, cover different cases, and grade with different expectations. You’re best suited finding someone, if possible, who has taken that same class with the same professor. That way, the tutor knows the professor’s quirks, and can tutor with those in mind.

• Like 1