UBC to Toronto

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone. Considering to accept my UBC offer. Just had a quick question. Other than 2020 which I suspect was cause of COVID about 10% of UBC articled in Toronto. Now would you say that getting a Toronto position in Corporate/construction firms in the Bay Area - mainly interested in the Environmental departments. Would you say that there is significant competition from students to work in Toronto or is there a lot of self - selecting out (ie want to work in the west)? And how far will Toronto firms go into the UBC class etc. any information appreciated?

The clinics and the centre for law of environment really appeal to me and I am from Toronto if that helps and intend on coming back

Edited by theroaringbadger

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, theroaringbadger said:

Would you say that there is significant competition from students to work in Toronto or is there a lot of self - selecting out (ie want to work in the west)

I don't know anything about your desired practice area, but there is no doubt that the overwhelming majority of UBC students self-select out of the Toronto recruit.

Any analysis of placement figures should also note that the Vancouver and Calgary recruit timelines take place before the Toronto one. So even those participating in the Toronto recruit (a minority of UBC students) will regularly withdraw to accept positions in one of those markets.

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

I don't know anything about your desired practice area, but there is no doubt that the overwhelming majority of UBC students self-select out of the Toronto recruit.

Any analysis of placement figures should also note that the Vancouver and Calgary recruit timelines take place before the Toronto one. So even those participating in the Toronto recruit (a minority of UBC students) will regularly withdraw to accept positions in one of those markets.

Thanks. Do you know how far in the class Toronto firms will go however like percentile? Like top 25%? Or is class ranking not as big of a deal since there’s a small minority in Toronto recruit 

Edited by theroaringbadger

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, theroaringbadger said:

Thanks. Do you know how far in the class Toronto firms will go however like percentile? Like top 25%? Or is class ranking not as big of a deal since there’s a small minority in Toronto recruit 

There's no such idea. Deeper into the class is a holistic concept, not a rigid percentile concept. Firms don't say "we'll interview the top 36%".

Edited by Rashabon

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
Just now, Rashabon said:

There's no such thing, whether in Toronto or the other schools.

I should have been more clear… I mean with respect to the size of the firm. Like won’t a law firm (especially mid-big) recruiting from Toronto to UBC only limit themselves to let’s say the top 20% or something. I’m not saying that they won’t get a position in general  I’m just talking about being recruited from to Toronto from UBC. 

5 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

There's no such idea. Deeper into the class is a holistic concept, not a rigid percentile concept. Firms don't say "we'll interview the top 36%".

Ohh. Ok. That makes sense. And generally what grades do you need like B+ For your top of the pick? I don’t know if you are in Toronto but if you are would you say that UBC grads are viewed any differently than any other Ontario school 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

B+ is probably fine to get some interviews. I don't think most of us in Toronto have any concrete views on UBC grads. There aren't as many of them in our market as from other schools. Everyone knows UBC is a good school though.

Also the Bay Area is San Francisco which is very different from Bay Street. Environmental law is also probably not what you think it is and the difference between a "Corporate" firm and a "construction law" firm are vast.

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

B+ is probably fine to get some interviews. I don't think most of us in Toronto have any concrete views on UBC grads. There aren't as many of them in our market as from other schools. Everyone knows UBC is a good school though.

Also the Bay Area is San Francisco which is very different from Bay Street. Environmental law is also probably not what you think it is and the difference between a "Corporate" firm and a "construction law" firm are vast.

Lol. I meant Bay Street. I am aware of the realities of environmental law. Do want to work in a general practice firm. But unsure which path I want to go atm. 

7 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Like would a B+ from UBC be seen just as good as Oz?

• 3 months later...
CBay
  • Law School Admit
On 4/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, theroaringbadger said:

Like would a B+ from UBC be seen just as good as Oz?

Bump on this question...