Financing a McGill BCL / JD Education

ChequePlz

ChequePlz
  • Law School Admit

Howdy Y'all, 

Got accepted back in March, and was expecting to have a fresh AFE package (Quebec government student loan) for law school. Unfortunately, after having spoken with McGill Finance, the BCL/JD falls under the "undergraduate" designation, and since I have already maxed out my funding via my undergraduate degree (where they only give you 30 months of bursary and then after it turns into a loan), what should I do? I already plan on applying for Financial-Aid through McGill, and have applied for In-Course bursaries, and who knows - maybe I'lll get a scholarship this summer? How have y'all funded your law school experience? I have a little bit saved, but nothing near the ticket price plus living expenses would cover me for three years. 

I am think about going the "professional student" route through either RBC, TD, and CIBC (which give 80-150k respectively depending on the institution) - just wanted to check with y'all and ask your experiences have looked like, and what option would be the best idea. 

Thanks, 

CP

Edited by ChequePlz

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, ChequePlz said:

Howdy Y'all, 

Got accepted back in March, and was expecting to have a fresh AFE package (Quebec government student loan) for law school. Unfortunately, after having spoken with McGill Finance, the BCL/JD falls under the "undergraduate" designation, and since I have already maxed out my funding via my undergraduate degree (where they only give you 30 months of bursary and then after it turns into a loan), what should I do? I already plan on applying for Financial-Aid through McGill, and have applied for In-Course bursaries, and who knows - maybe I'lll get a scholarship this summer? How have y'all funded your law school experience? I have a little bit saved, but nothing near the ticket price plus living expenses would cover me for three years. 

I am think about going the "professional student" route through either RBC, TD, and CIBC (which give 80-150k respectively depending on the institution) - just wanted to check with y'all and ask your experiences have looked like, and what option would be the best idea. 

Thanks, 

CP

Hello! Curious to know how many months are accounted for the loans and bursaries per semester? E.g. if a semester is 4 months long (September - December), then your loans and bursaries allotted = 4 months worth?

Grateful I came across your post, as I had not known about the limit for the bursary...

Hope you were still able to start your semester and that things fell into place!

• 1 month later...