Hello Class of 2025! Plans for summer and what to look out for?

Khrisse

Khrisse
  • Law Student
On 6/24/2022 at 11:59 AM, fettuccinealfredo said:

I'm also in Oliver and taking the train - I'll see you both!

I'll likely be walking and biking myself as long as there's no snow - then I suspect it'll be all train, all the time. But I'm looking forward to exploring the river valley in fall 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
nitzy
  • Law School Admit
14 hours ago, Philosophy said:

Hey everyone! Has anybody heard back regarding scholarships? 

Not a word. 

• Sad 1

Applicant18
  • Applicant
15 hours ago, Philosophy said:

Nope, nothing!

• Sad 1

Applicant18
  • Applicant

Hey guys! Not sure if this question fits in this thread or not but I was wondering if anyone knew when the appropriate time is to reach out to the different student groups (such as the Women's Law Forum)? I want to get involved but don't want reach out too early or too late if that makes sense haha. Also if there's maybe an event where we can meet the reps for these groups and we should wait until then? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Khrisse
  • Law Student
On 7/6/2022 at 5:01 PM, Philosophy said:

Me neither. Anyone have a sense of when decisions will be made/shared? 

1 hour ago, Applicant18 said:

Hey guys! Not sure if this question fits in this thread or not but I was wondering if anyone knew when the appropriate time is to reach out to the different student groups (such as the Women's Law Forum)? I want to get involved but don't want reach out too early or too late if that makes sense haha. Also if there's maybe an event where we can meet the reps for these groups and we should wait until then? Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about this as well. I'd sort of assumed without much thought that there might be some sort of student groups event during orientation, but I'm realizing I actually don't know. 

User456
  • Law School Admit
On 6/24/2022 at 12:59 PM, fettuccinealfredo said:

I'm also in Oliver and taking the train - I'll see you both!

I am also here! But I think ill

Be driving 😂

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Yep, schedules are out! My fall looks reasonable but holy moly, winter looks BUSY!

• Like 1

Philosophy
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, Khrisse said:

Yep, schedules are out! My fall looks reasonable but holy moly, winter looks BUSY!

Mine's the opposite. Fall looks super busy, but I realized that that's because the foundations course (1st 1week or so only) makes it look super crowded.

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

I think I am in cohort 1? Any other 1's out there? 

Also - is the panic setting in for anyone else?

Nervous Marc E Bassy GIF by Yung Bae

bgormo
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, nitzy said:

I think I am in cohort 1? Any other 1's out there? 

I'm also cohort 1 🙂 Crim law Monday at 8am?

Edited by bgormo

nitzy
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, bgormo said:

I'm also cohort 1 🙂 Crim law Monday at 8am?

Yup! 

• Sad 1

Albertaapplicant
  • Law School Admit

I was also wondering about when we join student groups. For undergraduate student groups at UofA, there was a clubs fair every September where you could sign up. I wonder if maybe law has their own clubs fair (or maybe their groups are a part of the general undergraduate one, idk). I know you can contact the student groups on BearsDen (the Women's Law Forum is listed on there), but I am not sure when the correct time to do so would be. I also want to get involved though

• Thanks 1

bobloblaw
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, Albertaapplicant said:

I was also wondering about when we join student groups. For undergraduate student groups at UofA, there was a clubs fair every September where you could sign up. I wonder if maybe law has their own clubs fair (or maybe their groups are a part of the general undergraduate one, idk). I know you can contact the student groups on BearsDen (the Women's Law Forum is listed on there), but I am not sure when the correct time to do so would be. I also want to get involved though

There will be a law-only clubs fair in September where you get to walk around and see what all the groups are about!

• Like 3

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Just noticed that tuition owing is posted in Beartracks.

Does anyone know when they are done handing out scholarships? Like, if the full amount is listed in your Beartracks is it safe to assume at this point that you did not get one? 

GoWestYoungMan
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, nitzy said:

Does anyone know when they are done handing out scholarships? Like, if the full amount is listed in your Beartracks is it safe to assume at this point that you did not get one? 

Not necessarily - I got scholarship in 1L, was notified a few weeks into the fall semester.

• Like 2

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, nitzy said:

I think the decisions will be all over the place and depend on the specific award given out. If they end up giving some out during fall term they will just put it towards our winter term balances (and if winter is already paid it will probably sit as a credit towards next year’s tuition lol)

• Like 1

bilron
  • Applicant
20 hours ago, nitzy said:

I wouldn’t say so. I have an entrance scholarship and was told I’d be getting notifications about it over the next few weeks. I’m not sure if it’s the same as the application based awards but it seems likely. 

bilron
  • Applicant
41 minutes ago, bilron said:

I wouldn’t say so. I have an entrance scholarship and was told I’d be getting notifications about it over the next few weeks. I’m not sure if it’s the same as the application based awards but it seems likely. 

Disregard, just told it’s explicitly a different process. So I wouldn’t worry about the application based awards, don’t seem to be issued yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
Meatball
  • Applicant
On 5/31/2022 at 6:01 PM, Lilbb19 said:

Even if you dont get a scholarship, the bursary application seems pretty generous. I got 10k 1L and 16K in 2L and 3L just because im broke af

From what I understand these are a separate application from the student loan application? Do you know where grant application fits in the mix? And does the bursary application open in October or are we able to apply for these now? Do you happen to have a timeline of when you apply for bursaries and receive notice of any?